Anti-American media

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
Foo
Administrator

Anti-American media

Post by Foo »

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/never-mind ... 24675.html

Note to libs, you keep losing election after election because you are living in the little bubble world where hating on American tradition is cool. When you leave that bubble, do you notice how the masses do not approve of your bullshit?

Do these people ever read the comments on their articles?
Headhunter
Charter Member

Re: Anti-American media

Post by Headhunter »

Most MLB players sit in the dugout during the anthem. Who cares?
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

I don't stand at home during the anthem and I've been in lines getting food while it's on at ballgames. This is such a manufactured issue to me.

Symbolism is cool, but we place way too much value on it as a country. Just be a good American through your actions.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

I don't get the connection to the liberal ideology or the media, or being anti-American.
Dream
Charter Member

Post by Dream »

question, would you have a problem with southern stadiums playing Dixie instead of the Anthem at these events? Or is that kind of disrespect to the US okay because it's just southern pride on display?
I started an erotic writing podcast with a friend
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

can we please not conflate that choosing to sit during the national anthem is anti-american?

if there is a push to bully people or shame people into not playing the anthem, or not to stand during the anthem, then i am right there with you. but choosing not to stand is not anti-american. and you trying to shame people into feeling that way seems kind of against freedom of speech / expression and against protest as it relates to this incident specifically.

this seems pretty snowflake-y and sjw-y to me. is freedom of speech and expression something that you feel should be protected or not? is it only worth protecting if it's speech or expression you agree with? because, honestly, that is more anti-american than sitting in protest. it's kind of fascist, seemingly.

if this becomes the reason we're losing elections, that's fucked...
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Dream wrote:question, would you have a problem with southern stadiums playing Dixie instead of the Anthem at these events? Or is that kind of disrespect to the US okay because it's just southern pride on display?
Yes, because Dixie is not the national anthem.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:can we please not conflate that choosing to sit during the national anthem is anti-american?

if there is a push to bully people or shame people into not playing the anthem, or not to stand during the anthem, then i am right there with you. but choosing not to stand is not anti-american. and you trying to shame people into feeling that way seems kind of against freedom of speech / expression and against protest as it relates to this incident specifically.

this seems pretty snowflake-y and sjw-y to me. is freedom of speech and expression something that you feel should be protected or not? is it only worth protecting if it's speech or expression you agree with? because, honestly, that is more anti-american than sitting in protest. it's kind of fascist, seemingly.

When I see someone not standing who is able, I think they are lazy, stupid, classless, or some combination thereof. I am at events all the time where the anthem is played, it is amazing how someone will rise from their wheelchair in obvious pain to show respect while some other clown is more worried about getting his funnel cake.

It is anti-American. It is a choice to not honor the country and those who have served to make it a free place. There are many other oppportunities to protest. If a person cannot even acknowledge they are part of something bigger for that moment, it really diminishes their voice.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:can we please not conflate that choosing to sit during the national anthem is anti-american?

When I see someone not standing who is able, I think they are lazy, stupid, classless, or some combination thereof. I am at events all the time where the anthem is played, it is amazing how someone will rise from their wheelchair in obvious pain to show respect while some other clown is more worried about getting his funnel cake.

It is anti-American. It is a choice to not honor the country and those who have served to make it a free place. There are many other oppportunities to protest. If a person cannot even acknowledge they are part of something bigger for that moment, it really diminishes their voice.
you're free to hold that opinion of them. but it doesn't make them anti-american. they are in no way working against america or american values by not standing during the anthem. but you kind of are, if you want to deny them that, or to shame them out of it.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

you're free to hold that opinion of them. but it doesn't make them anti-american. they are in no way working against america or american values by not standing during the anthem. but you kind of are, if you want to deny them that, or to shame them out of it.
The anthem is a moment to not be selfish. It is a moment to reflect on what you have because of the sacrifices others have made. That event is possible because of those sacrifices. It is self-absorbed and classless to sit.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

The US is like a family. No matter what is going on at the moment, when the family sits down to dinner for the prayer, you show respect. Handle your problems later. Again, it is having class.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

The anthem is a moment to not be selfish. It is a moment to reflect on what you have because of the sacrifices others have made. That event is possible because of those sacrifices. It is self-absorbed and classless to sit.
but not anti-american.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Think for a moment where the anthem is played for the public. It is played at those public events that are not possible in many places because they lack the freedom. You are present and cannot stand? Oh, you don't like something and it is so bad you have lost respect for the country? Try staying home.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

but not anti-american.
Standing against your peers showing respect to America is Anti-American. We don't stand for the pledge because perfection is achieved, we stand for the pledge to show we are united, to respect the past sacrifices,and to show respect.

Time to stop pretending being a selfish clown is something else.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:The US is like a family. No matter what is going on at the moment, when the family sits down to dinner for the prayer, you show respect. Handle your problems later. Again, it is having class.
understanding someone's reasons for not standing or not saying grace, or at least trying to talk to them about it, could be seen as class as well?
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

It could be noted that it IS anti-American to do away with the national anthem at games. Mainly because it is ONLY America that plays that during main sporting events so regularly. Most of the rest of us are happy to just chant at the opposition.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:The US is like a family. No matter what is going on at the moment, when the family sits down to dinner for the prayer, you show respect. Handle your problems later. Again, it is having class.
understanding someone's reasons for not standing or not saying grace, or at least trying to talk to them about it, could be seen as class as well?
There are no reasons to not respect the freedoms you have and those that won them for you. Handling your problems in an appropriate way is class.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Although personally I subscribe to the fact that doing something just because everyone does is not any kind of respect either. Might as well let them sit. Then you can identify them easier.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:Think for a moment where the anthem is played for the public. It is played at those public events that are not possible in many places because they lack the freedom. You are present and cannot stand? Oh, you don't like something and it is so bad you have lost respect for the country? Try staying home.
it's not about losing respect for the country. you can like the country as a whole, without liking every aspect or every action at all times.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

showa58taro wrote:It could be noted that it IS anti-American to do away with the national anthem at games. Mainly because it is ONLY America that plays that during main sporting events so regularly. Most of the rest of us are happy to just chant at the opposition.
i made that point too. well the first part of it. :P if foo was talking about an effort to shame people into not standing or not playing the anthem, i would see that as anti-american, and i would be right there with him on the issue. this is not that issue though.