Charter Member

Jeepers Creepers 3

Post by Monster »

Jason
Administrator

Re: Jeepers Creepers 3

Post by Jason »

"In select movie theaters September 26th only!"
'Because we MUST keep room for the 8 month old super hero movies and animated movies and the token spanish movie and stuff".

Super hero movies and animated movies are putting a huge damper on the film industry. Can't believe people aren't over this shit, yet. :p
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i think this is getting a limited release because it's a very cult horror flick, and because the director is controversial.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Jason wrote:"In select movie theaters September 26th only!"
'Because we MUST keep room for the 8 month old super hero movies and animated movies and the token spanish movie and stuff".

Super hero movies and animated movies are putting a huge damper on the film industry. Can't believe people aren't over this shit, yet. :p
Blame the viewing public.

In the last 20 years, superhero movies have become such reliable money makers. Average domestic Box Office is $88 million. Movies based on original screenplays average $14 million.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:i think this is getting a limited release because it's a very cult horror flick, and because the director is controversial.
Clearly it is because they want to be considered for Academy Awards.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:i think this is getting a limited release because it's a very cult horror flick, and because the director is controversial.
Just let me irrationally hate super hero and animated movies.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:
you guys don't let me irrationally hate things.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Foo wrote:

In the last 20 years, superhero movies have become such reliable money makers. Average domestic Box Office is $88 million. Movies based on original screenplays average $14 million.
I do blame the viewing public. I blame the viewing public for horror turning to shit, also.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:
What are you trying to hate, irrationally?
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Is that Creighton Duke?
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Jason wrote:
Foo wrote:

I do blame the viewing public. I blame the viewing public for horror turning to shit, also.
Spend as much time shopping in Walmart as I do and it all starts to make perfect sense.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:
What are you trying to hate, irrationally?
greedy people, apparently, for one. :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:
Foo wrote:

why horror? how far back are you going with the "turning to shit" ?
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:
Foo wrote:

Because the legitimate horror audience is pretty much outnumbered 1,000-1 by the super hero and animated movie audience. Thus, less effort in the horror industry. We get one great horror movie every few years as opposed to at least ten great horror movies per year in the 70s and 80s.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:
Foo wrote:

Because the legitimate horror audience is pretty much outnumbered 1,000-1 by the super hero and animated movie audience. Thus, less effort in the horror industry. We get one great horror movie every few years as opposed to at least ten great horror movies per year in the 70s and 80s.
so, you would extend this back to the 90s then?

superhero movies make more money, but they also cost a lot more to make. i would venture that there are more horror movies made per year than superhero movies.

how many great superhero movies do we get, in comparison to the every few years for horror movies by your estimation?
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

"Great" is a strong word. I think there have only been maybe 5 great super hero movies ever.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:"Great" is a strong word. I think there have only been maybe 5 great super hero movies ever.
maybe it's a strong word, but you said "great horror" so it's fair to ask. :P five in all? so already horror wins!
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Obv.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

so, then there's no problem, in comparison to superhero movies. let the general public do what they want, we know what the best genre is. :P

also the 2000s and 2010s have quite a few good/great flicks. wanting everything for all time to live up to the 70s and 80s is a little bit far fetched. :P
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Looking at box office trends, you can kinda separate movies by tiers in terms of influence, It has been a long long time since horror has had a top tier influencer. For instance, Jaws and The Exorcist were cultural phenomenons. Amityville Horror was like Tier 2. Halloween was like Tier 2.5 or 3.

I suppose Split or Get Out would be the newest influencers in the genre, and they are probably Tier 3.