Should MotW be brought back?

An in-depth, month-long discussion of various films selected by HMF members.

Bring back Movie of the Week (MotW)

Yes
45%
No
9%
Unsure
No votes
Don’t care
9%
Too low participation. Make it Movie of the month.
36%

Total votes: 11

Jigsaw
Charter Member

Should MotW be brought back?

Post by Jigsaw »

You know, the whole concept of MotW has long been one that I'm a fan of (I even ran the FE equivalent for the last six months before the site went down) - watching movies you yourself may have passed up on, or perhaps didn't even know about, and coming together to discuss it.

I believe we should consider bringing this back; I further propose we wipe the slate clean. I don't know if anyone has a list of films that have been done for MotW (I remember most of my suggestions, but certainly not all of them), but given that we're on a new site, I feel we should treat MotW, if we decide to continue it, as opening a new book.

That said, and this is simply my opinion, I do think we should keep suggestions limited to movies that aren't already our favorites - while getting together and watching Halloween or Sleepaway Camp is fun, devoting a whole week to a film most of us have already seen seems, in my opinion, wasteful, especially when there are thousands and thousands of horror flicks out there to explore, from the golden era of silents to SOV videos released this year.

Perhaps we should vote on it - I'd make a poll, but either I'm completely oblivious as to how, or I don't have the capabilities. Regardless, what perhaps is the more important discussion is, if we indeed decide to bring it back, whether or not we go with the clean slate idea.

Regardless, we have time to set this up - it is of my opinion that we shouldn't actually start this up until the first week of November. But again, that's a discussion for later.

So, what say you, HMF? Should MotW be brought back?

(Since this sub-board is here, I have to imagine most would say yes, but screw it, had to ask).
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Jason
Administrator

Re: Should MotW be brought back?

Post by Jason »

Why didn't you make a poll, you fool?!
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Jason wrote:Why didn't you make a poll, you fool?!
Because 1) I didn't see where the option was, even after looking it up online, and 2) read #1.

:D
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

If only there was a massive button that said the word poll on it.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

showa58taro wrote:If only there was a massive button that said the word poll on it.
You know, if I had seen said massive button, I would have clicked it. Alas, I didn't see one.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Movie of the month is, in my opinion, a very bad idea for a variety of reasons. But that's just me.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

why is movie of the month such a bad idea? just out of curiosity.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Given how little some MotWs had I can see month bring useful.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

zombie wrote:why is movie of the month such a bad idea? just out of curiosity.
1) Discussion would be hard to keep up. Member #1 watches the movie on the 3rd, and wants to discuss it, but by the time member #2 and #3 watch it, they forget some of the smaller details they wanted to bring up, and end up speaking about the movie in vaguer terms. Then #4 wants to finally watch it, but the discussion is basically spent past the 25th. Having the range be a week seems to be a lot, and I mean a lot, more conducive to good discussion.

On FE, we eventually turned the MotW to a movie every two weeks, which did not increase participation, but only dragged out the staggering of conversations.

2) If someone wants to watch a MotW but can't get to it that exact week, which happens, dragging out the thread for that one person would just seem a bit much. Strictly having the range be a week would allow us, as a site, to make it more possible to view in groups (if that particular movie warrants such interest), and also put the movie forefront in the mind of the member, ensuring they watch it and discuss it (should they want to) in the time period.

3) There are over ten thousand horror movies. Watching and discussing just 12 a year seems, and I apologize for the strong language, criminal.

4) If we ever have over 12 active members at one time participating in MotW, and they all make suggestions, those suggestions would last a full year, which frankly seems utterly ridiculous, especially given the fact that I understand some members will want to suggest films that many of us have already seen more than a few times, which, while perfectly allowable, isn't honestly what I see MotW's main point to be.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

showa58taro wrote:Given how little some MotWs had I can see month bring useful.
Very few members who couldn't watch a specific movie in a week aren't going to be likely to watch it in a month, though. if they can't find the time in the week, which I know happens, many likely wouldn't be fully willing to find time in a month, perhaps because their interest isn't too high to begin with.
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

Movie of the Year it is then. :P
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Havok wrote:Movie of the Year it is then. :P
GTFO :x

showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Jigsaw wrote:
Havok wrote:Movie of the Year it is then. :P
GTFO :x

MotY seems logical.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

showa58taro wrote:If only there was a massive button that said the word poll on it.
Show me said button:
No Fucking Button
I'm thinking it is set so only mods/admin can make polls.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Slaughterhouserock wrote:
Show me said button:
No Fucking Button
Holy fuck. You’re right. And there’s me acting like king dick for Jiggy being blind and it’s just that I’m a massive Cunt.

Capital C and all.

Jiggy I officially apologize.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

is there a problem with the spoiler function? i assume that's what slaughter was going for with the "no fucking button" thing?
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

zombie wrote:is there a problem with the spoiler function? i assume that's what slaughter was going for with the "no fucking button" thing?
I think he was highlighting that there is no poll button.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

showa58taro wrote:
Slaughterhouserock wrote:
Show me said button:
No Fucking Button
Holy fuck. You’re right. And there’s me acting like king dick for Jiggy being blind and it’s just that I’m a massive Cunt.

Capital C and all.

Jiggy I officially apologize.
No problem - I was almost positive that only mods had that option based off my research on it, but there was no need to hard on it.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

I think movie of the month is a fantastic idea.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:is there a problem with the spoiler function? i assume that's what slaughter was going for with the "no fucking button" thing?
I think he was highlighting that there is no poll button.
What Seb said. Someone needs to find where the permissions are set and change it so Charter Members have access to polls. I'll add it to the ever growing list of shit that needs to get done in my suggestions thread.