The Starbucks Incident, the Memes and the Hilarity

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
Jason
Administrator

The Starbucks Incident, the Memes and the Hilarity

Post by Jason »

The Starbucks Incident I'm sure you all heard about the incident where two black men were loitering inside a Starbucks, paid for nothing, wanted the key to the bathroom, and the employee kindly asked them to purchase something because bathrooms are reserved for paying customers. It is common practice to ask someone to make a purchase if they would like to use the restroom. It is especially common around busy outdoor malls and swapmeets where hoards of people gather. This was in downtown Philly, so I have no doubt that people loiter around that Starbucks all the time and are asked to leave. I have been asked by employees to make a purchase if I wanted to use their restroom. They must've thought I was black... Of course, the two black men made a racial stink about it and the liberal media jumped all over it.

The Memes and the Hilarity
"But in this world nothing can be said to be certain except death and taxes... and the internet always wins".
Someone created this hoax coupon, offering free coffee, but the catch is you have to be black. FuckingLOL, and thank the lawd... it actually spread over the internet like wildfire... Yes, people took it seriously. Gotta admire the fake barcode on the coupon. That certainly helped to sell the meme.

But not just anybody took it seriously, even Starbucks employees were conned on the gag! ImageImageImage
A conservative leaning black comedian on youtube decided to put it to the test, and it worked.

He was then invited on Fox News to give his thoughts on the whole Starbucks debacle and explain why he did what he did.
"I am sick and tired of liberals using black people and making us look like victims, making us look soft with their liberal dogma. It is disgusting".

Oh, you thought the internet was done? No, they're not done. :D

People obviously caught onto the fake coupon, which prompted the internet to keep it fucking going, lmaoJesusChrist...
Here is a letter from Kevin Johnson, CEO of Starbucks! ImageImageImage

God bless the internet, and God bless the U.S.A.!
ImageImageImageImageImage
showa58taro
Administrator

Re: The Starbucks Incident, the Memes and the Hilarity

Post by showa58taro »

The issue wasn’t them being asked to leave it was calling cops and arresting them. That wouldn’t happen to you or me.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

What a ridiculous story this is.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

showa58taro wrote:The issue wasn’t them being asked to leave it was calling cops and arresting them. That wouldn’t happen to you or me.
Of course not, because yoibwould not loiter in a business and then refuse to leave or buy something when the manager asked. Then give the cops shit when they asked...

If you go to McDonalds in Times Square or some other busy place like that, they not only expect you to buy food to use the tables and bathroom, they give you a time limit. When I worked on the census and we would have meetings at places, buying a soda or something was encouraged because those places are not public meeting halls, they are businesses that need customers to survive, not hoodlums laying around in them.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

showa58taro wrote:The issue wasn’t them being asked to leave it was calling cops and arresting them. That wouldn’t happen to you or me.
You or me wouldn't stay around and make a huge scene about it. Difference.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

Tiggnutz wrote:What a ridiculous story this is.
I don't even have a clue what's going on, lol. From y'all's comments, if they were asked to purchase something and didn't, then the manager was right to ask them to leave. On the other hand, we have meetings all the time in food joints and usually have to wait on one or two people. We tell the manager, and have never had a problem or have been asked to leave whilst waiting on said people.

Is there a good link to get the whole story?
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Jmac Attack wrote:
I don't even have a clue what's going on, lol. From y'all's comments, if they were asked to purchase something and didn't, then the manager was right to ask them to leave. On the other hand, we have meetings all the time in food joints and usually have to wait on one or two people. We tell the manager, and have never had a problem or have been asked to leave whilst waiting on said people.

The moral of the story is buy a fucking coffee 8-)
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Jmac Attack wrote:

You would not order a drink in a very busy place that sells drinks while you wait and are occupying tables meant for customers?
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Tiggnutz wrote:
Jmac Attack wrote:

The moral of the story is buy a fucking coffee 8-)
And the fact that you don't own every place you enter. You are a guest.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

why were the guys there, at the starbucks? what made them think that they could stay without ordering? i'd like to read the full story. but on the surface, it definitely feels like they should have just moved on. the media is making it a bigger deal than it needs to be, and we're all helping to push that along too. i honestly hadn't heard about this at all, before reading it here. and it looks like jmac maybe didn't either, so yeah.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:why were the guys there, at the starbucks? what made them think that they could stay without ordering? i'd like to read the full story. but on the surface, it definitely feels like they should have just moved on. the media is making it a bigger deal than it needs to be, and we're all helping to push that along too. i honestly hadn't heard about this at all, before reading it here. and it looks like jmac maybe didn't either, so yeah.
They had a meeting about a life changing real estate deal (their words), and were waiting on the broker. Not sure if their dress figures in, but they were wearing sweat pants for this life changing real estate meeting.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:why were the guys there, at the starbucks? what made them think that they could stay without ordering? i'd like to read the full story. but on the surface, it definitely feels like they should have just moved on. the media is making it a bigger deal than it needs to be, and we're all helping to push that along too. i honestly hadn't heard about this at all, before reading it here. and it looks like jmac maybe didn't either, so yeah.
They had a meeting about a life changing real estate deal (their words), and were waiting on the broker. Not sure if their dress figures in, but they were wearing sweat pants for this life changing real estate meeting.
if this is actually what happened, and not some kind of joke that's going over my head, did the "broker" ever show up? did they ever make any kind of attempt to contact him?
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
if this is actually what happened, and not some kind of joke that's going over my head, did the "broker" ever show up? did they ever make any kind of attempt to contact him?
He did show up. Kinda weird situation as they were incredible vague about the meeting, even after.

I don't really think any of that matters, though. You are in a business, they ask you to order or make room for a customer, and you refuse to do either. They could have ordered, or met the guy outside. Then the police show up and ask them to leave, and they make a fuss about it, again refusing. So they got arrested.

Anyone with any sense at all simply orders something while they wait. Most know to do this because they weren't just let out of a cage. For those who are unaware, being asked to do so should either cause you to order or wait outside. Why these jokers think they are now entitled to money is everything that is wrong with society.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

hmm.. i'm not reading anything about a "real estate deal" but they were apparently waiting for a friend, that did show up as the men were being led out and handcuffed.

by the accounts, i've read they were dressed casually but not sloppily or anything. and they were not causing a disruption, being polite about wanting to wait for the friend. if starbucks has a policy (whether that specific store or the company as a whole) of "no purchase, then get out" across the board, then the guys were in the wrong. but if not, maybe starbucks is in the wrong.

either way, it doesn't look like they were actually arrested, which i thought was part of the claim from when the story was brought up in another thread, here?
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:hmm.. i'm not reading anything about a "real estate deal" but they were apparently waiting for a friend, that did show up as the men were being led out and handcuffed.

by the accounts, i've read they were dressed casually but not sloppily or anything. and they were not causing a disruption, being polite about wanting to wait for the friend. if starbucks has a policy (whether that specific store or the company as a whole) of "no purchase, then get out" across the board, then the guys were in the wrong. but if not, maybe starbucks is in the wrong.

either way, it doesn't look like they were actually arrested, which i thought was part of the claim from when the story was brought up in another thread, here?
https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/14/us/phila ... index.html

You can see a photo of the dress. They claimed in later interviews it was a "life changing real estate deal". I don't really think it matters, just weird.

They were arrested, Starbucks chose not to charge with trespassing.

It is a joke, including the mayor, which is why you should not live in cities like Philly.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

again, the tragedy here is the loss of societal common sense.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

the police did nothing wrong. they were reacting to a call. it never should have gotten to that point, on starbucks end or on the guys' end.

could be that the friend who showed up, was gonna buy the drinks for them. we don't know the situation. but waiting outside is always an option, i guess. i really hope that starbucks is really consistent now, with how they treat people who come in and don't buy right away, or else it's gonna bite them hard. *shrug*
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

almost tempted to go up the street, and say i'm waiting for a friend. to see how they react. :P (i won't though)
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

At our restaurant we had a lady get all pissed and slammed the door and stomped out.

The food truck had one of our annual health inspections yesterday. We had no choice in the matter and had to take the truck to the health department parking lot for the inspection. Not knowing how long this would take, we cancelled our Monday vending location and posted we would not be there on facebook.

Lady show up at the restaurant wanting a cheesesteak we serve on the food truck. Staff explains the restaurant has a different menu (it is posted online). She gets angry, throws down the menu, slams the door, stomps out, etc. People are so out of touch.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:the police did nothing wrong. they were reacting to a call. it never should have gotten to that point, on starbucks end or on the guys' end.

could be that the friend who showed up, was gonna buy the drinks for them. we don't know the situation. but waiting outside is always an option, i guess. i really hope that starbucks is really consistent now, with how they treat people who come in and don't buy right away, or else it's gonna bite them hard. *shrug*
What was Starbucks supposed to do differently? Allow people to loiter in their business?

Keep in mind, different locations are much busier than others. You might not be able to get a table all the time at a Philly Starbucks.