2024 October Challenge Discussion Thread

Participate in our annual horror movie binge-watching throughout the month of October.
Jason
Administrator

Re: 2024 October Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 9:02 pm
Jason wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 9:00 pm
zombie wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:53 pm the version of suspiria that's on amazon cuts stuff out. i just noticed it with the hanging kill and the glass shattering and all that.
I've been warning everyone of this since the day Hollywood Video and Blockbuster closed their doors and Netflix's opened.

Physical is undeniably the only way to go.
some of both, with a heavy lean toward physical media, is the only way to go.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

If we don't put our foot down they're just gonna keep pushing past boundaries until we're stuck with the Barney & Friends version of Suspiria. And nobody wants that. Not even Barney.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 9:14 pm If we don't put our foot down they're just gonna keep pushing past boundaries until we're stuck with the Barney & Friends version of Suspiria. And nobody wants that. Not even Barney.
blockbuster had the chance to put their foot down and they didn't see the profit in it. now look at them. :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

what other movie did you choose?
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 9:20 pm what other movie did you choose?
I'm thinking Galaxy of Terror.

1) Is it good?
2) Is it horror?
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 9:17 pm
Jason wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 9:14 pm If we don't put our foot down they're just gonna keep pushing past boundaries until we're stuck with the Barney & Friends version of Suspiria. And nobody wants that. Not even Barney.
blockbuster had the chance to put their foot down and they didn't see the profit in it. now look at them. :P
They couldn't compete with convenience and laziness.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Jason wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 9:27 pm
late fees were a huge reason they failed. They even acknowledged that at the end too. Even before Netflix went to streaming, they were winning by no-late-fees.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 9:29 pm
late fees were a huge reason they failed. They even acknowledged that at the end too. Even before Netflix went to streaming, they were winning by no-late-fees.
Yeah. True. But at the end of the day, the vast majority would rather sit at home and buy a movie without getting up and leaving. People would pay double to be able to rent from home and not have to leave. Convenience always wins.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 9:26 pm

1) Is it good?
2) Is it horror?
i don't think i've seen galaxy of terror.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

they could have been the laziness and convenience. netflix was offered to them. they didn't see the profit in it, like i said.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 9:47 pm
Jason wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 9:26 pm

1) Is it good?
2) Is it horror?
i don't think i've seen galaxy of terror.
Google says sci-fi horror. And Robert Englund is in it. And I need to open the scream factory steelbook at come point so I'm gonna chance it. :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

scream factory.. steelbook. i read somewhere that physical medias that start with the letter s are the media of snakes! :P
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Galaxy of Terror has both Robert Englund and Sid Haig. I don't personally love it, but it's not at all a bad watch. Definitely recommend it if you're into 80's stuff.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 9:48 pm
they could have been the laziness and convenience. netflix was offered to them. they didn't see the profit in it, like i said.
I'd stop Blockbuster if they switched to streaming and mail too. Nothing was more fun than riding my lil bicycle to the video store and renting horror flicks on VHS.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 10:01 pm
I'd stop Blockbuster if they switched to streaming and mail too. Nothing was more fun than riding my lil bicycle to the video store and renting horror flicks on VHS.
this was before streaming was really a thing. if blockbuster had purchased netflix, we probably wouldn't be where we are to this extent. because they're model was primarily physical media and so they probably would have stayed that way rather than heading primarily into streaming and digital. their shortsightedness is costing us all.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

so i put exorcism (russell crowe's other exocist-y movie) on reserve along with a movie called sting. they are both supposed to be horror. so more to watch.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 10:04 pm
this was before streaming was really a thing. if blockbuster had purchased netflix, we probably wouldn't be where we are to this extent. because they're model was primarily physical media and so they probably would have stayed that way rather than heading primarily into streaming and digital. their shortsightedness is costing us all.
Streaming was coming no matter what. Whether the company was called Netflix or not and Blockbuster bought it, something else was gonna take a stranglehold of that market. I blame society more than the companies, honestly.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 10:16 pm
zombie wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 10:04 pm
Streaming was coming no matter what. Whether the company was called Netflix or not and Blockbuster bought it, something else was gonna take a stranglehold of that market. I blame society more than the companies, honestly.
fair enough. not much to be done about it if it was and is inevitable.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i decided that i'll watch the texas chainsaw massacre and suspiria remakes in the morning, before going on to the bad seed. but for now adieu.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

TCSM is amazing.