2024 October Challenge Discussion Thread

Participate in our annual horror movie binge-watching throughout the month of October.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Re: 2024 October Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by Tiggnutz »

Finish up the day with comfort film Fright Night
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Tiggnutz wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 4:30 pm
Tiggnutz wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 3:16 pm New watch Sting
So far better than I was expecting
It's a solid creature feature
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 4:48 pm
Tiggnutz wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 4:37 pm
zombie wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 4:32 pm i'll just watch revenge (same writer/director) again, for the challenge. and pick up the substance later on.
Just a hunch but I think you will really enjoy it
It's female heavy. He will enjoy it. :P
all the best movies are, you know. :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

what's cooler...vampire on a scooter in this movie. or vampire on a skateboard in a girl walks home alone at night? :P
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Slaughterhouserock wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 4:14 pm I'm obviously the odd man out here, I just don't see the appeal other than the final scene. And I don't feel it was worth sitting through two hours to get to. Interesting premise, a couple good gore scenes, a couple genuine laughs. That's all I got.
You're hitting on a lot of what I criticized. It's a silly/schlocky film that is definitely elevated by getting at least B+ talent to work on it, which is maybe why I dig it a bit more is you don't see Basket Case getting that love. And yes the ass shaking helped. I'd watch it again with a Henelotter fest like I did this time, but can't see otherwise.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

I have to say, in my old age, Nancy's "Wake me up in 20 minutes" bit at the end of NOES gets to me now. I mean she has to set up a fucking sledgehammer that weighs twice what she does, it would probably take me like 2 hours to set all that shit up. Then I got to fall asleep, pull that motherfucker out, yeah, it's gonna be a long night damnit, not no 20 friggin minutes. Still dope though.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 5:46 pm what's cooler...vampire on a scooter in this movie. or vampire on a skateboard in a girl walks home alone at night? :P
Show me this scooter.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 6:16 pm
zombie wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 5:46 pm what's cooler...vampire on a scooter in this movie. or vampire on a skateboard in a girl walks home alone at night? :P
Show me this scooter.
satanic hispanics should be on shudder or amc (the parent company)?
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Reign in Blood wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 6:16 pm I have to say, in my old age, Nancy's "Wake me up in 20 minutes" bit at the end of NOES gets to me now. I mean she has to set up a fucking sledgehammer that weighs twice what she does, it would probably take me like 2 hours to set all that shit up. Then I got to fall asleep, pull that motherfucker out, yeah, it's gonna be a long night damnit, not no 20 friggin minutes. Still dope though.
Dream time and real time are two different things. Any more than 20 minutes sleep is death.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

comfort movie double feature: sorority house massacre and slumber party massacre. then my head hits the pillow.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Slaughterhouserock wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 8:40 am
DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 7:50 am
zombie wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 7:11 am
Jason wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 10:38 pm
DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 10:33 pm
Jason wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 10:14 pm
DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 10:12 pm Longleg's cinematography is awfully dark. Not Game Of Thrones' long night dark, but still keeps up the trend of modern cinematographers not giving a crap about contrast.
That's among my biggest gripes of modern movies. Adds to the already cartoony feel of modern flicks. Doesn't feel as real when it's half a cartoon.
And it's a legit gripe too. Not only do you have to fidget with TV setting to hopefully get a "best" version, but if you see it in theaters, you easily risk a screening that isn't using the brightest setting to save on power.
I can never find an audio balance either. New movies rely on jump scares and it feels like they intentionally have quiet dialog to make you crank the volume.
i feel like it has to be more than jump scares because it's done that way in most movies and tv shows. not just with horror. i think the biggest gripe about it has been with christopher nolan and he hasn't done a horror yet. but he should. :P
Yet I never really notice it with Chris Nolan movies, but it's definitely beyond just jump scares/horror that are guilty of this.
Here's a good video explaining why audio's fucked in new movies.

That's good and informative. I still see it as lazy to keep dialogue low to keep rolling the volume up and down though. Still weird I never felt this issue with Nolan, even though I've heard about it for a long time lol
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jason wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 1:59 pm I understand D's siggy now. Yikes.
ahahahahahaha

THat might be my favorite kill of the last 10 years now
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Watched I Saw The TV Glow this morning.

I'm annoyed. It wasn't awful, but for most of the runtime I was just left wondering why the fuck is this in the horror section, and even when it got weird (well, weirder) I think it tried leaning into a Lynch style horror-adjacent than fully diving in. I'm counting it out of stubbornness, but I don't recommend for others.

There's Something In The Barn was entertaining as hell though. Was surprised it was Rated R, but I guess they got an extra "fuck" in there or something that kicked it over the line.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

It's possibly that I'm the only one who really liked I Saw the TV Glow here. :P
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

It is kinda weird I watched 3 new-watches in a row that have the same runtime lol
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Watching The Omen (1976) to end the night in preparation for The First Omen at some point.

Gonna swing over to the theater at 10:20AM tomorrow morning for Terrifier 3 if I time it all right.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 9:51 pm Watched I Saw The TV Glow this morning.

I'm annoyed. It wasn't awful, but for most of the runtime I was just left wondering why the fuck is this in the horror section, and even when it got weird (well, weirder) I think it tried leaning into a Lynch style horror-adjacent than fully diving in. I'm counting it out of stubbornness, but I don't recommend for others.

There's Something In The Barn was entertaining as hell though. Was surprised it was Rated R, but I guess they got an extra "fuck" in there or something that kicked it over the line.
I don't see it as horror at all, but that's what they promoted it as for some reason.

There's Something in the Barn is fun.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Going 9.3 on The Omen (1976).

Gonna start up now and possibly finish The Descent tonight. Pretty sure this is the third viewing. Didn't care for it in my first two viewings, maybe third times the charm. We shall see.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

British woman shitting on bluegrass music is not a good start. :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

So did the husband die too? I assumed he died but "She's gone" was said in the hospital as opposed to "They're gone". Or did she only care about her daughter or something?