Recently Watched Movies

You can talk about anything here
pixie
Charter Member

Re: Recently Watched Movies

Post by pixie »

Black Widow! I enjoyed every bit of it. But im biased because im in love with scarlet johansen.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

Fear Street. As a whole, it was alright. Sucks that the entire thing is spoiled in the opening credits(seriously, it's all there minus the who), but I wasn't expecting anything new from R.L. Stine. There are worse ways to spend roughly six hours, but there are also many better.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

pixie wrote:Black Widow! I enjoyed every bit of it. But im biased because im in love with scarlet johansen.
It's pretty good. Should've been released sooner, hell produced sooner because it does feel like an afterthought. Plus the level of badassery for Taskmaster was underwhelming, but I'm glad there's room for improvement (mask is still awful).
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

A Classic Horror Story. A group of people end up in some bizarro woods with the usual crazies. It's a bit meta, and I'm sure there's some fucking message about consumer culture or some shit, but it was decent. The twist is a bit meh, but the aftermath got a chuckle out of me.

Also, weird thing, but I'm pretty sure this is the first italian horror film I've seen since Mother of Tears. Guess horror kinda died out for them.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Gone With The Wind .................. A-

Appreciated it more as an adult, and though it wasn't a fast 3hrs 40min, none of it felt wasted either. The aspect ratio is very odd, and I would've adjusted to it better if things actually looked properly cropped for it. At first I thought it was just a TCM cropping, but no it's actually shot in more of a square shape, so I find this odd for an epic.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Alien From LA. Kathy Ireland falls in a pit that leads to an underground Atlantis. I'm pretty sure Super Mario Bros. borrowed heavily from this for just about everything. Goofy 80's fun.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

The Suicide Squad. So much better than the first film. I actually enjoyed watching this one. Surprised to see Lloyd Kaufman make a cameo, but considering Gunn got his start with Troma, it makes sense.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Yeah, I watched The Suicide Squad twice now. Enjoyed the hell out of it. Giggled at Lloyd's cameo, even though it was *really* quick. I think his Guardians of the Galaxy cameo was a few milliseconds longer.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Even with superhero movie fatigue, The Suicide Squad is so fun
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

The Green Knight. Based on that poem, but a bit different. Gawain's a bit of a twat, and the whole thing is mainly a way for him to become more "knightly", whereas the poem he was a decent enough guy throughout. It's a bit too artsy for me, but if you cut out the long shots of nothing, it's alright. Oh, and there's a shitty looking cg fox for no good reason. Could have definitely done without that.

Also, there's a post credits scene that's just a random kid picking up the crown and putting it on. Serves no purpose, and has nothing to do with anything, so no point in watching it.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Meander. A woman that is contemplating suicide after her daughter's death gets abducted by a dude that puts her in a death maze. Think Cube, but tiny corridors you have to crawl through. If you have claustrophobia, it's probably best to skip this one.

Anyway, she's got a thing on her wrist that is her only source of light and also has a countdown on it, letting her know how long she has to make it through a given section of corridors. Don't reach the safe spot in time? Get fucked. It's not creative shit like Cube or Saw, but it gets the job done. About halfway through, things take a left turn and get weird. It's mostly just the one lady, so it relies on tension to keep you interested. If that's your bag, give it a watch.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Mahakaal (1994)

The Indian rip-off of A Nightmare on Elm Street. Maybe the third time I've seen it. Okay, but runs too long. Still worth seeing if you're a fan of ANOES, just for the experience of a similar story in a different culture.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Don't Breathe 2. Similar setup as the first, bad old man vs. bad guys. The twist in this one had me laughing. While it's not as gross as the first, it's still fucked up. Also, Warren from Empire Records as the leader of the group attacking the old guy is just funny to me. Guy will always be Warren. He does his best Gary Oldman impression at one point, and fails miserably, but it had to be intentional. I think there's lots of shit that doesn't make much sense, but it's nice to have a film where it's not just good vs. evil, and is a grey mess. Worth a watch.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Castle Freak (1995)

Only the second time seeing this one (first time I saw it was the 2017 October Challenge), but I do find this quite a well-made movie. Probably a top 20 horror movie from the 1990's.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Howl's Moving Castle. Got tired of hearing how amazing this is, so I finally gave it a go. Now, maybe I'm dumb, or maybe it's just me being an old fart, but I don't get it. I mean, I get the plot and all that, but why do people love this so much? I must be missing something. Please note, this is rhetorical, I'm not asking for why you think it's great(if you do).
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Watched The Gate (1987) for the second time.

Not a great movie, but pretty fun. I don't think it's a movie I'd go back to that often, but seeing it again did confirm my enjoyment of it.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Malignant. Starts off as a weird guy forcing a woman to watch him kill people and short out electrical shit for no apparent reason. It gets a bit weird from there. I went into this expecting some dumbass ghost film based on the trailer, but it turned out pretty good. It's like a high budget version of a low budget 80's horror film. That had to be the intent, as even the characters and their actions are on par with 80's cheese fare, just better acted. And that intro coulda been out of an 80's monster film. Thought it was a movie within a movie for a minute, since it was so different from the trailer. Definitely worth checking out.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Just adding this due to people going nuts about how original Malignant is. Malignant is great, but people are acting like it's some amazingly bizarre concept. It's just a high budget version of shit that's been done before. It's an homage to 80's style horror, with tons of references to shit any horror fan should easily notice. Fun yes, original, no. The two main aspects of the film are directly related to 80's horror. I won't say specifics to avoid spoilers for anyone that hasn't seen it yet, but the character Gabriel can be directly linked to a well-known book from 1989(later made into a movie). Making the lady witness his murders is directly from a great film from 1987. The other characters are very stereotypical of 80's horror films(and horror films today, as some things never change). It's well made, and a fun film, but it's just showing everyone how fucking good 80's horror is. I'd love more shit like this, but don't credit it for something it is not.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Shame, because even Wan was calling it a love letter to 80's Giallo, so even he's aware it's not original.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Now Im hearing Backetcase references, so I'm even more excited lol