Recently Watched Movies

You can talk about anything here
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Re: Recently Watched Movies

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Now Im hearing Backetcase references, so I'm even more excited lol
I don't like comparing it to other films as it gives away everything, but yes, I can see that.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Bad Candy. Anthology film centered around a radio show and a clown on halloween. There's bad cg and bad editing in several spots. but overall it's a decent enough film.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Nightbooks. A kid gets kidnapped by a witch and is forced to tell her a scary story every night or die. First off, it's a horror movie for kids, so it's not gonna be for everyone. Second, there's some real shit cg in it. The fucking cat is cg for no good reason, and looks terrible. Seriously, the cat from Hocus Pocus looked more realistic, and that shit came out 28 years ago. Can we please stop doing this shit? Anyway, it's ok for what it is, but don't expect anything really interesting. I did like that Lost Boys is the reason the kid gets kidnapped, and Cry Little Sister is in it for a minute. Something to watch with your kids if you have 'em. Otherwise, I'd say skip it.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Candyman remake. This could have been a different movie. It's like someone had an idea, but couldn't sell it, so they slapped some Candyman references in to market it. They did an ok job of trying to get it to work, I guess, but it feels forced. The film itself is alright, but I think it would've been better off as its own thing.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Cry Macho .................... C

Hrmm. Clint still has it as a filmmaker, but he needs to be more discerning with his "1 take" shooting because some of these actors just aren't nailing it anymore. Especially the main kid here, he's almost as bad as the kid who played young Frank Deux. While it's predictable that Mike (Clint) is going to end up at one of the pit stops they make along the journey, it's really cringy watching someone his age getting his mack on. Yes, the lady is also older, but he could still be her grampa. This subplot might've worked better 20 years ago, but definitely not now. The plot is very simple, but the stakes are definitely not black or white, and we are not even really sure where we stand by the end of the journey, which I suppose is the point. Seems like it wanted to comment on macho posturing, but it seems squeezed into the plot rather than being part of the actual theme. On the plus side, Clint still knows how to pace, has good trust in his cinematographer and editors, and delivers a good enough performance to keep things steady. I am also left wanting to know more about what the kid's mom was up to, but they leave it extremely vague. Then there's the kid's father, played half-assed by Dwight Yokem, who also doesn't seem to have clear motives. We're stuck in the middle of a kidnapping between parents, and both seem to be dirtbags. You want to see the kid not go with either one. The film's at its best when it's sitting down to breathe, and at its worst when shit hits the fan.

I'm pretty mixed on this one. I liked The Mule, even with its warts, but there are more warts and cracks in this one that it's harder to let slide.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Free Guy. Fun film. Similar to Ready Player One to an extent, but based more in reality.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Old. People go to the beach, people get old. It's a Shammy film, so there's a twist, but the whole thing is underwhelming. When the twist/explanation comes, it's nothing shocking, and the outcome seems rather silly. A solid meh of a film.

Kate. Assassin gets poisoned and goes looking for who did it, killing a ton of people along the way. Nothing new and fairly predictable, but a decent action film. Odd choice of camerawork in a couple places, but they're quick shots, so only slightly distracting.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Slaughterhouserock wrote:Old. People go to the beach, people get old. It's a Shammy film, so there's a twist, but the whole thing is underwhelming. When the twist/explanation comes, it's nothing shocking, and the outcome seems rather silly. A solid meh of a film.
I dug the concept of Old, but the execution and writing really made it meh, and it was definitely a light twist for a Shammy flick. I would have made it a balls to the wall body horror flick personally, which it only dabbles in.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Just finished Ghost Stories: Graveyard Thriller (1986), which I believe I heard about years ago from Havok.

After all this time, I can say it's not a good movie, but boy, what I both happy to see it, and also oddly enjoying parts of the presentation.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Watched my final movie for the month, being Mountaintop Motel Massacre.

Not an easy movie to get a hang of. Part of me wishes that I liked it more, because it's definitely different from so many other early 80's horror. I just find a lot of it dull, though. I did the first time I saw it, and I still do.

Worth seeing at least once in your life, for what it's worth. I just don't think it'd make that many people's "Top [insert number here] 80's horror movies" lists.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Ava
Charter Member

Post by Ava »

Took a break to watch The Many Saints of Newark.
I waited for this.... Ugh. This was just as good as El Camino was to Breaking Bad. *cringes*
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Anyone see the new Bond?
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

showa58taro wrote:Anyone see the new Bond?
Doesn't come out here until Thursday. I'm seeing it Friday
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Tiggnutz wrote:
showa58taro wrote:Anyone see the new Bond?
Doesn't come out here until Thursday. I'm seeing it Friday
Ah poop. Really wanted to hear people’s thoughts. As I saw it and have thoughts. Chat when you guys have had a chance.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

I got spoiled and I'm glad I won't have to waste my money at the theater. Lol
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

VHS 94. The third scene from Indonesia was good. Reminded me of Tokyo Gore Police, but it goes full fps towards the end. The other scenes were meh.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Copshop. A couple hitmen show up to a police station to kill a guy in custody. Decently fun film, but the ending is silly. They did one of those fade to black, then come back with some unnecessary bullshit before really ending. It's not bad, it's just kinda dumb. Still, worth a watch.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Slumber Party Massacre remake. Oy vey. I get that it was trying to be funny, and was made by syfy, but the first hour was hot garbage. I was tempted to turn it off, and that's saying something coming from me. The last twenty minutes were meh. Best to avoid this one.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Dune. I never read the books, so I don't know how accurate this is, or even how much of the book is covered. Even though it's over two hours long, it felt rushed, yet somehow ended before even beginning. Good film, though. Gonna suck having to wait for sequels.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Night Teeth. College kid drives around a couple vampires all night. Despite starting the film by showing the guy's smart, he almost immediately does some dumb shit once he's driving around the vamps. They tried to set up their own world and rules and shit, but it's kinda similar to the world of Blade. All around decent.

Also, when I looked up the film, I saw tons of stuff about Megan Fox being in it. She's in it for less than five minutes. I love how advertisers latch on to what they think will drive sales. Film was fine without her.