2024 October Challenge Discussion Thread

Participate in our annual horror movie binge-watching throughout the month of October.
zombie
Administrator

Re: 2024 October Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 8:31 pm
zombie wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 7:34 pm so i've decided to watch the first omen tonight. and probably watch the omen afterward, to catch any potential references in the prequel.
I'll rely on you to let me know what I should do. :P
somewhere around 30 minutes into it, and i feel like it doesn't match the tone or aesthetic of the original, so it would probably be jarring to watch expecting them to fit together. but maybe that will change as i go.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 8:37 pm
Jason wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 7:59 pm
zombie wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 7:50 pm
Jason wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 7:46 pm
zombie wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 7:23 pm
Jason wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 6:08 pm When Evil Lurks

Best horror movie of the 21st century?!?!
i can not abide your blasphemous tongue (or fingers)! :P
It gave me literal goosebumps. It wasn't overly dramatic. No overacting. Completely unpredictable. Unique. It just hit the spot for me. Is it the best of the 21st century? It is absolutely in the conversation.
"in the conversation" seems more fair.
I can't say definitively that it is the best of this century, but I also cannot definitively think of a movie in the last 24 years that is for sure better. It could be top 5. It could be 1. I really don't know. But it's right there with It Follows, Let The Right One In, etc...
our top fives will just have to be significantly different. :P
No Let the Right One In? I know you're big on Descent (which I will probably rewatch for this challenge) but I figure that would make the cut.

And shit I forgot Ginger Snaps is relatively new. That's a top 5er.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 8:39 pm
zombie wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 7:34 pm so i've decided to watch the first omen tonight. and probably watch the omen afterward, to catch any potential references in the prequel.
somewhere around 30 minutes into it, and i feel like it doesn't match the tone or aesthetic of the original, so it would probably be jarring to watch expecting them to fit together. but maybe that will change as i go.
I got a hankering for the original Omen. And I remember liking Damien: Omen II but can't remember if I've seen the rest of the sequels. I'll probably just bang out the OG and then hit up The First Omen after.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

tonight's just a fuckit/comfort night. House on Haunted Hill followed by A Nightmare On Elm Street
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 8:48 pm
zombie wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 8:37 pm
Jason wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 7:59 pm
zombie wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 7:50 pm
Jason wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 7:46 pm
zombie wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 7:23 pm
Jason wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 6:08 pm When Evil Lurks

Best horror movie of the 21st century?!?!
i can not abide your blasphemous tongue (or fingers)! :P
It gave me literal goosebumps. It wasn't overly dramatic. No overacting. Completely unpredictable. Unique. It just hit the spot for me. Is it the best of the 21st century? It is absolutely in the conversation.
"in the conversation" seems more fair.
I can't say definitively that it is the best of this century, but I also cannot definitively think of a movie in the last 24 years that is for sure better. It could be top 5. It could be 1. I really don't know. But it's right there with It Follows, Let The Right One In, etc...
our top fives will just have to be significantly different. :P
No Let the Right One In? I know you're big on Descent (which I will probably rewatch for this challenge) but I figure that would make the cut.

And shit I forgot Ginger Snaps is relatively new. That's a top 5er.
let the right one in would definitely be in the conversation for best of the 21st century.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 8:50 pm
I got a hankering for the original Omen. And I remember liking Damien: Omen II but can't remember if I've seen the rest of the sequels. I'll probably just bang out the OG and then hit up The First Omen after.
there are a couple of clear call backs to the omen. and one to possession. (i didn't like that) but this may just be my favorite of the first half of the decade. i'll have to give a rewatch to be sure. and of course something i haven't seen yet may overtake it but yeah. i loved it.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 10:01 pm
there are a couple of clear call backs to the omen. and one to possession. (i didn't like that) but this may just be my favorite of the first half of the decade. i'll have to give a rewatch to be sure. and of course something i haven't seen yet may overtake it but yeah. i loved it.
That good, eh?

Alright. I'll queue it up to watch back to back at some point this month. Got a list in my head that is gonna get away from me if I don't write it down soon.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 9:44 pm tonight's just a fuckit/comfort night. House on Haunted Hill followed by A Nightmare On Elm Street
Fuckin a
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 10:04 pm
zombie wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 10:01 pm
That good, eh?

Alright. I'll queue it up to watch back to back at some point this month. Got a list in my head that is gonna get away from me if I don't write it down soon.
in my opinion yeah. i don't want you to blame me if you hate it though.... :P it's much more a24-like than the omen. (though it is still clearly meant to lead into that film)

and i hope they make a second omen with the same creative team.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

wikipedia describes immaculate and the first omen as twin films. so i guess it's fitting that i watched them back to back. :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

this is the feature film debut of the director too. very nice! :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 10:11 pm wikipedia describes immaculate and the first omen as twin films. so i guess it's fitting that i watched them back to back. :P
Probably because they came out at the same time and involve demonic pregnancies. :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

When Evil Lurks will likely be the only movie of the day unless I could squeeze one in before bed. But I gotta be up early damn it.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

I still don't believe Nancy put up all those booby traps in under 20 minutes.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Is Communion horror? Would be a new watch and I don't want to waste a movie if it isn't horror.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 11:39 pm Is Communion horror? Would be a new watch and I don't want to waste a movie if it isn't horror.
amazon calls it scifi drama. but i haven't seen it. and i was gonna ask the same question about lisa frankenstein. :P
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

Jason wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 11:39 pm Is Communion horror? Would be a new watch and I don't want to waste a movie if it isn't horror.
I wouldn't say it is. It's just a sci-fi alien abduction film.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

zombie wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 11:50 pm amazon calls it scifi drama. but i haven't seen it. and i was gonna ask the same question about lisa frankenstein. :P
Lisa Frankenstein is comedy horror.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Slaughterhouserock wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2024 2:28 am
I wouldn't say it is. It's just a sci-fi alien abduction film.
That's the vibe I get. I'll leave it out
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Started Wishmaster and I am now totally screwed on sleep. :P