The texting suicide thingy

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
Foo
Administrator

Re: The texting suicide thingy

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:That girl is a poster child for a generation of fucked up desensitized self obsessed youth. Scary to think how little life seems to mean to that group.
We have told a generation it is ok to kill an unborn baby because it is inconvenient. We have told them it is ok to put older family members into nursing homes when it gets difficult. Sometimes there are unintended consequences to our actions.
sometimes people make false equivalences too. how many actually don't see a problem with what she did?
Was there a false equivalence in this case? Doesn't matter how many people have issues with her, it is about the law.
i think you were making the false equivalence with your other post. and was asking how many people actually don't see anything wrong with it, because that's what led to you making the connections you did.
You need to better explain the false equivalence I made. I don't recall saying anything was equivalent.

I was pointing out that society has been grooming people to not respect life.
enh. i still question the percentage of people that don't respect life.
Would you not say there has been a massive shift in public opion over the past few decades in the arenas I mentioned?

Abortion went from unthinkable to the masses, to a difficult decision, to a viable choice, to something to share with everyone.

We used to take care of our older family members, but look at how elder care is exploding. Families used to take care of grandma, now a government subsidized facility does.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:The obvious problem with murder is that there was no murder. He took his own life.

Sometimes things are shitty but not illegal. Perhaps there was a lesser crime here, but we can't name a mockery of our laws by charging and convicting people for crimes they did not commit because we do not like them.
no, it's not murder exactly. but that's closer than manslaughter. everything is there short of physically taking the life yourself.
Which tells us that it is neither murder nor manslaughter. Criminality is specific. It is not, "well, close enough...".
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:The obvious problem with murder is that there was no murder. He took his own life.

Sometimes things are shitty but not illegal. Perhaps there was a lesser crime here, but we can't name a mockery of our laws by charging and convicting people for crimes they did not commit because we do not like them.
no, it's not murder exactly. but that's closer than manslaughter. everything is there short of physically taking the life yourself.
Which tells us that it is neither murder nor manslaughter. Criminality is specific. It is not, "well, close enough...".
so, come up with a new classification for fuckasses who take her example and run with it.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:That girl is a poster child for a generation of fucked up desensitized self obsessed youth. Scary to think how little life seems to mean to that group.
We have told a generation it is ok to kill an unborn baby because it is inconvenient. We have told them it is ok to put older family members into nursing homes when it gets difficult. Sometimes there are unintended consequences to our actions.
sometimes people make false equivalences too. how many actually don't see a problem with what she did?
Was there a false equivalence in this case? Doesn't matter how many people have issues with her, it is about the law.
i think you were making the false equivalence with your other post. and was asking how many people actually don't see anything wrong with it, because that's what led to you making the connections you did.
You need to better explain the false equivalence I made. I don't recall saying anything was equivalent.

Would you not say there has been a massive shift in public opion over the past few decades in the arenas I mentioned?

Abortion went from unthinkable to the masses, to a difficult decision, to a viable choice, to something to share with everyone.

We used to take care of our older family members, but look at how elder care is exploding. Families used to take care of grandma, now a government subsidized facility does.
to me, the elder care issue feels like a symptom of the expectation of people being workhorses essentially. if they need to do more and more to get by, it will take more and more time away from things outside of work. *shrug*' i don't think that can be blamed on lack of respect for life.

maybe abortion prevalence is a sign of that. but i'm pro choice and i have respect for life. so fuck off with that. :P
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

to me, the elder care issue feels like a symptom of the expectation of people being workhorses essentially. if they need to do more and more to get by, it will take more and more time away from things outside of work. *shrug*' i don't think that can be blamed on lack of respect for life.

maybe abortion prevalence is a sign of that. but i'm pro choice and i have respect for life. so fuck off with that. :P
OK, let's just pretend it is not happening. Everything is fine, People respect life more than ever.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:

so, come up with a new classification for fuckasses who take her example and run with it.
I am not sure I feel comfortable creating a crime for it.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Chicks with unibrows generally indicate they are demented.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote: OK, let's just pretend it is not happening. Everything is fine, People respect life more than ever.
i think you're exaggerating it. but for the sake of argument, why do you think people are finding less value in life? what is the cause? why are abortions undergone more? why are elders put into homes more often?
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote: OK, let's just pretend it is not happening. Everything is fine, People respect life more than ever.
i think you're exaggerating it. but for the sake of argument, why do you think people are finding less value in life? what is the cause? why are abortions undergone more? why are elders put into homes more often?
Because we have normalized this incredibly selfish behavior. Abortion morphed from a terrible procedure that was sometimes necessary, to eugenics and black people population control, to a woman's rights issue. Same horrible thing presented in increasingly acceptable ways.

Putting elders into homes has gone from the last resort for a dying vagrant, to the final days for loved ones, to the final weeks for loved ones, to being a convenient way to not have to deal with the people who dealt with you. People are told it is ok to not take care of our older family members, because everyone needs a vacation and all the other bullshit. Nursing homes are FULL of people who should be with family, but the family makes excuses so they don't have to deal with it and nobody shames them for it.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

It is AMAZING how much entertainment people are consuming, yet no one has time for the baby they created or the parent that raised them. Plenty of time for internet, games, netflix, crossfit classes, visiting wineries, little league, etc. No time for the people you owe the time to, though.

It is just like the person who begs for gas money yet has money for tattoos and weed. Priorities are revealed by actions.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Because we have normalized this incredibly selfish behavior. Abortion morphed from a terrible procedure that was sometimes necessary, to eugenics and black people population control, to a woman's rights issue. Same horrible thing presented in increasingly acceptable ways.

Putting elders into homes has gone from the last resort for a dying vagrant, to the final days for loved ones, to the final weeks for loved ones, to being a convenient way to not have to deal with the people who dealt with you. People are told it is ok to not take care of our older family members, because everyone needs a vacation and all the other bullshit. Nursing homes are FULL of people who should be with family, but the family makes excuses so they don't have to deal with it and nobody shames them for it.
selfisness may be it. but was that encouraged in some way or did it just happen naturally? did people just become selfish on their own, or is it a symptom of something else within our society?
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

It is shocking that Foo tried to draw a connection between his views on abortion and something completely unrelated. Your social theories are interesting to read but baseless.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:It is AMAZING how much entertainment people are consuming, yet no one has time for the baby they created or the parent that raised them. Plenty of time for internet, games, netflix, crossfit classes, visiting wineries, little league, etc. No time for the people you owe the time to, though.

It is just like the person who begs for gas money yet has money for tattoos and weed. Priorities are revealed by actions.
so, it's desire for entertainment that is the problem, then? do you think that could be a symptom of something else too, or not at all?
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Gonna take a wild guess and propose that this generation projected to be the first ever earn less money than their parents' generation is a bigger contributor to this devaluation of life Foo is describing than Roe v. Wade.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:Gonna take a wild guess and propose that this generation projected to be the first ever earn less money than their parents' generation is a bigger contributor to this devaluation of life Foo is describing than Roe v. Wade.
also less opportunity, as more and more jobs become automated, may play a part as well? although there is more opportunity in other areas like youtube potentially. but not everyone can make that work either. i don't know.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Another factor:

All the information overload people could ever hope for making people more aware than they've ever been and desensitizing them to the horrors of the world, the trade-off of that time spent soaking up information being young people are not going outside for leisure as much or more importantly not finding fulfillment through blue collar labor. Not much time to be depressed while fixing something up.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:

selfisness may be it. but was that encouraged in some way or did it just happen naturally? did people just become selfish on their own, or is it a symptom of something else within our society?
Do you now notice a progression from the generation before us, to our generation, millenials?

What a bunch of fucking sad saps we have become. People dragging their bloody tampons all over facebook and twitter, whining about this and that, while all their friends and family tell them it is not their fault. Half the time I am reading it and thinking, "You are fat, lazy, and stupid, on your fifth job in five years and have never really accomplished anything. YOU ARE THE PROBLEM!".

Instead you get comments like: "They just don't know what a fabulous person they are missing out on!". "Golly, you just have bad luck." and all other manner of deflections to avoid reality.

If I got fired, I guarantee my grandparents would point out 100 other people who work there didn't get fired, so I better straighten up and fly right.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

A lot of kids don't understand the fulfillment of finishing up a day of hard physical labor. You can't get that form of satisfaction doing anything else in life and it's really good for the soul.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:Gonna take a wild guess and propose that this generation projected to be the first ever earn less money than their parents' generation is a bigger contributor to this devaluation of life Foo is describing than Roe v. Wade.
also less opportunity, as more and more jobs become automated, may play a part as well? although there is more opportunity in other areas like youtube potentially. but not everyone can make that work either. i don't know.
Labor jobs still exist. More service and technology jobs exist than ever.

YouTube? Really...

How about old-fashioned business where people go out and solve problems for others? Provide them with needs or wants. Go clean up someone's yard. Go pick fruit. Cut lawns. Do something!
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

I would love for someone to knock on my door and ask if I'd like help around the yard. I wouldn't need to pick up day laborers at Home Depot.