It (2017)

News and thoughts on new movies.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Re: It (2017)

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Oh I know. I've ranted in retaliation at one Halloween party because I said I didn't like it, and they started in with a "you just didn't get--" I cut them off, ranted exactly what the theme was, told them how cheap it was, how everything meant nothing, there was no danger, and all we got were two annoying as fuck characters I'll never forget...in the worst way possible :P
Spot on. I wish I could wipe the image of that little shit screaming in the backseat from my head.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Jason wrote:This is precisely why we need to drastically expand the horror section.

We're posting all this shit in IT's Upcoming Movie thread.

To be fair, we've never really cared where we posted stuff. Threads going far off topic are par for the course.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Slaughterhouserock wrote:
zombie wrote:i would ask how you define horror, but that probably won't help my case of being an actual fan. :P
Fuck if I know how to define it, words have never been my strong suit. It's just fucking horror.
That's how I feel. When I see a movie, I decide for myself if I consider it horror. Some are certainly close. I have always seen, for instance, Predator as a horror/science-fiction movie. Never crossed my mind someone wouldn't see it as horror.

But as for defining horror? That's not something I've ever been able to really do. I can just point out movies I believe to be horror (Aliens, Repo!, Hard Candy, Battle Royale) and movies I don't (J'accuse! from 1919, Jurassic Park, etc.).
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Jigsaw wrote:That's how I feel. When I see a movie, I decide for myself if I consider it horror. Some are certainly close. I have always seen, for instance, Predator as a horror/science-fiction movie. Never crossed my mind someone wouldn't see it as horror.

But as for defining horror? That's not something I've ever been able to really do. I can just point out movies I believe to be horror (Aliens, Repo!, Hard Candy, Battle Royale) and movies I don't (J'accuse! from 1919, Jurassic Park, etc.).

Predator's sci-fi/action as well.

You mean like fucking Scooby Doo on Zombie Island?
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Jigsaw wrote:That's how I feel. When I see a movie, I decide for myself if I consider it horror. Some are certainly close. I have always seen, for instance, Predator as a horror/science-fiction movie. Never crossed my mind someone wouldn't see it as horror.

Ah, but times change also. I no longer consider that horror for a litany of reasons.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Jigsaw wrote:

Ah, but times change also. I no longer consider that horror for a litany of reasons.
The main reason being us dogging the shit out of you for years because of it. :p
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

I want Predator to be horror, but a sci-fi-action flick.

That said, I now realized what my favorite sci-fi movie of all time is.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:fun while it lasted? it is going to stomp over friend request and we'll still have a chance for some great horror to come.
I
Oicwatudidthere. Nice.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Classification is always a bitch, but I always look to intent and execution, and then a percentage. So let's look at horror/comedies. Take the Scary Movie franchise, some would say that's horror and it's bullshit. Look at it's intent and execution, get the fuck out of here, it's 90% comedy/spoof. Evil Dead 2? Not so much. Monster Squad? Not so much. Arbitrary number for sure, but to me, at least 46.666% of your intent and execution needs to be horror to come into my genre.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:Classification is always a bitch, but I always look to intent and execution, and then a percentage. So let's look at horror/comedies. Take the Scary Movie franchise, some would say that's horror and it's bullshit. Look at it's intent and execution, get the fuck out of here, it's 90% comedy/spoof. Evil Dead 2? Not so much. Monster Squad? Not so much. Arbitrary number for sure, but to me, at least 46.666% of your intent and execution needs to be horror to come into my genre.
agreed. intent and / or execution should be firmly horror. i see aliens and dog soldiers to be in the same vein. if one is horror then so is the other. if both are action, so be it. repo! is kind of tricky because you don't really have another film to point to, to justify the inclusion. so you have to decide whether it fits how you define horror as.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:Classification is always a bitch, but I always look to intent and execution, and then a percentage. So let's look at horror/comedies. Take the Scary Movie franchise, some would say that's horror and it's bullshit. Look at it's intent and execution, get the fuck out of here, it's 90% comedy/spoof. Evil Dead 2? Not so much. Monster Squad? Not so much. Arbitrary number for sure, but to me, at least 46.666% of your intent and execution needs to be horror to come into my genre.
agreed. intent and / or execution should be firmly horror. i see aliens and dog soldiers to be in the same vein. if one is horror then so is the other. if both are action, so be it. repo! is kind of tricky because you don't really have another film to point to, to justify the inclusion. so you have to decide whether it fits how you define horror as.
Interesting. Why are you Slut-shaming werewolves into the realm of Sci-Fi? Inquiring minds want to know!
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Interesting. Why are you Slut-shaming werewolves into the realm of Sci-Fi? Inquiring minds want to know!
action. and why is considering something as sci-fi considered to be shaming? :P (i don't consider dog soldiers as that)

werewolves by itself doesn't make something horror. so if aliens is not horror, then neither is dog soldiers. in my estimation.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
action. and why is considering something as sci-fi considered to be shaming? :P (i don't consider dog soldiers as that)

werewolves by itself doesn't make something horror. so if aliens is not horror, then neither is dog soldiers. in my estimation.
I see. So soldiers on a mission is the same theme here. So Predator, Aliens and Dog Soldiers all must be horror?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:

I see. So soldiers on a mission is the same theme here. So Predator, Aliens and Dog Soldiers all must be horror?
soldiers on a mission is the story. the tone and presentation is what makes or doesn't make it horror. but yes, i consider all three of those movies to be horror.

i don't like that this turned from "is repo! horror" to "let's go back and argue for the hundredth time about aliens as a horror movie or not". :P
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:

soldiers on a mission is the story. the tone and presentation is what makes or doesn't make it horror. but yes, i consider all three of those movies to be horror.

i don't like that this turned from "is repo! horror" to "let's go back and argue for the hundredth time about aliens as a horror movie or not". :P
There is no point in talking that repo non-sense. For the first argument, 1 out of 3 is horror.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
There is no point in talking that repo non-sense. For the first argument, 1 out of 3 is horror.
there was an effort to make the monsters frightening. they were about tension and scares and desperation, more than cool action.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

I recall Dog Soldiers to be fairly gory, enough to tip it into the Horror realm. I'm rewatching it during the challenge to be sure though. Purchased the Scream Factory Blue Ray.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jason wrote:This is precisely why we need to drastically expand the horror section.

We're posting all this shit in IT's Upcoming Movie thread.

To be fair, we've never really cared where we posted stuff. Threads going far off topic are par for the course.
To be fair again, the book of It is pretty all over the place too :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:I recall Dog Soldiers to be fairly gory, enough to tip it into the Horror realm. I'm rewatching it during the challenge to be sure though. Purchased the Scream Factory Blue Ray.
didn't bring up dog soldiers as to dispute it's horror-ness but to show the horror-ness of other similar movies.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

zombie wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:I recall Dog Soldiers to be fairly gory, enough to tip it into the Horror realm. I'm rewatching it during the challenge to be sure though. Purchased the Scream Factory Blue Ray.
didn't bring up dog soldiers as to dispute it's horror-ness but to show the horror-ness of other similar movies.
I know, I just brought up the gore factor as a separator :P

I'll refresh myself on the gore though next month.