Disability as a costume

Discussion of all non-horror films. Oscar-nominees, Razzie-winners, we won't judge.
Forum rules
Want people to like you? Try being nice.
Foo
Administrator

Disability as a costume

Post by Foo »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ale ... mg00000009

Jason Voorhees should have been played by a real mongoloid and Freddy by a real burn victim. Discuss.
zombie
Administrator

Re: Disability as a costume

Post by zombie »

i don't like this trend. it's outrage for the sake of it.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

and now i wanna go watch wait until dark. :P
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

What I find short sighted in these moments of outrage is that it only comes up when they like the character. For instance, had Alec Baldwin been playing a blind child molester, this would not come up.

For the same reason, you never hear the crimes of white washing when it comes to terrorists, thugs, rapists, etc.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

white washing when it comes to terrorists, thugs, rapists, etc... does that happen? like osama bin laden played by jake gylenhaal or jared leto?

i think white washing shouldn't be linked here. it's only going to make "disability as a costume" seem more justified.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:white washing when it comes to terrorists, thugs, rapists, etc... does that happen? like osama bin laden played by jake gylenhaal or jared leto?

i think white washing shouldn't be linked here. it's only going to make "disability as a costume" seem more justified.
Whining about white washing is just as bad. Centering terror plots in films around white people rather than brown people is a very common tactic.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

white washing is worth bringing up, as long as it doesn't go to the extreme. (like a brazilian actress not being dark enough for a certain character)

that is not the same thing at all. you're trying to make a false equivalence.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:white washing is worth bringing up, as long as it doesn't go to the extreme. (like a brazilian actress not being dark enough for a certain character)

Exactly the same. It is avoiding the casting of a minority who has the proper character traits to give an acting job to someone on the majority who does not have them.

You would not cast Alec Baldwin to play a black man, why hire him to play a blind man?
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Well Mr. Baldwin should immediately drop to his knees and beg for forgiveness for getting this role than donate a bunch of money to a thespians with disabilities charity. Should also suck somebody's genitals but I'm not sure who's :?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:white washing is worth bringing up, as long as it doesn't go to the extreme. (like a brazilian actress not being dark enough for a certain character)

Exactly the same. It is avoiding the casting of a minority who has the proper character traits to give an acting job to someone on the majority who does not have them.

You would not cast Alec Baldwin to play a black man, why hire him to play a blind man?
i hope you actually do see the difference, but are just playing troll or some shit.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

i hope you actually do see the difference, but are just playing troll or some shit.
Explain the difference. For the record, I am cool with anyone playing any part and despise all the PC nonsense. Terrorists should be Muslims, etc.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
Explain the difference. For the record, I am cool with anyone playing any part and despise all the PC nonsense. Terrorists should be Muslims, etc.
terrorists from the middle east should be portrayed by arab or persian actors. terrorists in general not so much.

i see race as different than disability or even sexual identity, as far as characterization goes.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
terrorists from the middle east should be portrayed by arab or persian actors. terrorists in general not so much.

i see race as different than disability or even sexual identity, as far as characterization goes.
People with disability see the lack of opportunity in an even more severe way. Why are you ok with the "able washing"?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

People with disability see the lack of opportunity in an even more severe way. Why are you ok with the "able washing"?
anyone can play disabled or gay or a genius. not anyone can play a hispanic or an asian character.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

anyone can play disabled or gay or a genius. not anyone can play a hispanic or an asian character.
Wow. So getting a spray on tan is more difficult than being blind, paralyzed, or retarded?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

Wow. So getting a spray on tan is more difficult than being blind, paralyzed, or retarded?
playing not being. audrey hepburn played blind. mickey rooney played asian. which one got shit for it?
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

playing not being. audrey hepburn played blind. mickey rooney played asian. which one got shit for it?
I don't care what the PC police say. Playing blind is harder than playing someone with a different level of tan or happens to have ancestry from a certain region.

How many blind actors do you think they audition for these roles?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
I don't care what the PC police say. Playing blind is harder than playing someone with a different level of tan or happens to have ancestry from a certain region.

How many blind actors do you think they audition for these roles?
i don't pretend to be pc police. *shrug*
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

You two are too funny
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

funny how?