2024 October Challenge Discussion Thread

Participate in our annual horror movie binge-watching throughout the month of October.
Jason
Administrator

Re: 2024 October Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by Jason »

Thank fuck this movie actually has subtitles. I wouldn't understand half the words spoken in these insanely thick British accents.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Man I knew the CGI in FvsJ was cheap then, but they aged very poorly lol.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

I understand what this movie is going for, but I really don't think it's my style. I'm about halfway and it could easily change, but I think this one might end up surpassing The Dead Hate the Living! for my least favorite new watch so far.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2024 11:37 pm Man I knew the CGI in FvsJ was cheap then, but they aged very poorly lol.
Freddy vs. Jason is the hardest movie to score ever. It brought us all together, but in hindsight it's not exactly the best in the world. Some charm, some cringe, some nostalgia. It's a wide scale as far as it where it can land on a rating.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

And the whole Jason being afraid of water bs still bugs the shit outta me. Even the writers in the documentaries have tried to backtrack on that shit, no one wanting to take the blame :P
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

But then, this movie also tries to tell us that if no one knows who Freddy is, he has no power...even though that never stopped him in the previous movies lol.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 12:10 am And the whole Jason being afraid of water bs still bugs the shit outta me. Even the writers in the documentaries have tried to backtrack on that shit, no one wanting to take the blame :P
The New Line movies of Jason really reek of them not giving a fuck and Freddy being their golden child. They made Jason a joke.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Yes, the Faggot line is still there on streaming lol. Bad then, due to Kelly's terrible acting chops, aged worse with how much more that word offends, hahaha. Apparently the writers won't take blame for that line either, insinuating that Kelly was improvising. I forgot what they claimed they originally wrote in that scene, but I do remember them being mad that they changed from Freddy calling Jason "mama's boy" to the generic "asshole".
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

This movie is trying really really hard to have a humorous, parody take on slasher horror and it is just largely not funny. I feel like I'm watching a comedian bomb live on stage right now.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 12:20 am Yes, the Faggot line is still there on streaming lol. Bad then, due to Kelly's terrible acting chops, aged worse with how much more that word offends, hahaha. Apparently the writers won't take blame for that line either, insinuating that Kelly was improvising. I forgot what they claimed they originally wrote in that scene, but I do remember them being mad that they changed from Freddy calling Jason "mama's boy" to the generic "asshole".
Puts an end to my suspicion that streaming sites are aiming to erase that word from memory. And yeah, that whole scene was pretty cringey.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

To be fair, I'm watching it on Max, not Disney+ :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 12:26 am To be fair, I'm watching it on Max, not Disney+ :P
Ah, yes. Definitely depends on the service. Lol
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

About 20 minutes left and unless something absolutely mind blowing happens, this movie is gonna be the new king of worst viewing so far. Yikes. Apart from a chuckle or two, the majority of the movie is tough to sit through. Thankfully it's not even an hour and a half long.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

About 15 minutes left, Jason. You can do this. Hang in there.

Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

"If only there were something more. It just all seems so pointless".

This movie just unintentionally described the very essence of its own being.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

It's over.

Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

That's a 2.7. Easily, far and away, the worst of the challenge for me. Even the worst of the challenge before this was still enjoyable to a decent degree. This one was border line aggravating.

Ending the night with The Brood.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

May post thoughts on The Brood as I go or just update in the morning, but I'm about to start it now. Can't be anywhere near as bad as the suffering I just endured.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

zombie wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2024 5:41 pm for a watch later on, would you guys recommend stop motion or no?
Stop Motion is mostly psychological horror with an ambiguous ending. If you're in the mood for that, then sure. Wasn't really something I cared for, but the actual animation stuff is great.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

zombie wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2024 8:37 pm how does five nights at freddy's compare to willy's wonderland? not watching now, but just for future reference?
Willy's Wonderland is just a fun film. Five Nights at Freddy's is an attempt at making money and doing it poorly. It's a bad film and a bad adaptation.