2024 October Challenge Discussion Thread

Participate in our annual horror movie binge-watching throughout the month of October.
Jason
Administrator

Re: 2024 October Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:41 am
Jason wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:29 am
zombie wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:22 am
Jason wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:05 am I preferred The Descent the most in my 3rd viewing but there are aspects that I'll always have trouble with. The best part is Juno the skank getting ganked and the revengyness of some of it. The darkness and flashlights is annoying, but it's a cave, so I try to overlook it. I will always have a gripe with the "crawlers". They're like Diet Cola wendigos, made out to be unique creatures we've never seen before, and are shown in numerous occurrences throughout the movie that they're weak as hell. When Sarah (female, about 120 pounds) can shrug one off her shoulder and stomp its head in with ease, and also pin one down and gouge it's eyes out, then there really is little threat other than they kinda look creepy. I've heard people remark about claustrophobia when watching the movie and I never really felt any of that.

At the end of the day, I finally do understand why the movie is liked for the most part, but this sort of thing ain't my bag baby. If the creatures weren't cheap wendigos and weak as hell, the movie could be in the 7s or 8s, but I'm gonna go a generous 6.1 on The Descent because of the revenge and Sarah being believable.
about the claustrophobia thing. the cave in scene and sarah struggling didn't give you any kind of unease, at least?
Maybe a little.
well, fair enough.
I'll watch it again at some point. :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Now starting Ghost Ship (2002). Rewatch.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:55 am
zombie wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:41 am
Jason wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:29 am
zombie wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:22 am
Jason wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:05 am I preferred The Descent the most in my 3rd viewing but there are aspects that I'll always have trouble with. The best part is Juno the skank getting ganked and the revengyness of some of it. The darkness and flashlights is annoying, but it's a cave, so I try to overlook it. I will always have a gripe with the "crawlers". They're like Diet Cola wendigos, made out to be unique creatures we've never seen before, and are shown in numerous occurrences throughout the movie that they're weak as hell. When Sarah (female, about 120 pounds) can shrug one off her shoulder and stomp its head in with ease, and also pin one down and gouge it's eyes out, then there really is little threat other than they kinda look creepy. I've heard people remark about claustrophobia when watching the movie and I never really felt any of that.

At the end of the day, I finally do understand why the movie is liked for the most part, but this sort of thing ain't my bag baby. If the creatures weren't cheap wendigos and weak as hell, the movie could be in the 7s or 8s, but I'm gonna go a generous 6.1 on The Descent because of the revenge and Sarah being believable.
about the claustrophobia thing. the cave in scene and sarah struggling didn't give you any kind of unease, at least?
Maybe a little.
well, fair enough.
I'll watch it again at some point. :P
that's not necessary. if you don't enjoy it, then you don't enjoy it. i can gripe on the exorcist. you can gripe on the descent. :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 12:00 pm that's not necessary. if you don't enjoy it, then you don't enjoy it. i can gripe on the exorcist. you can gripe on the descent. :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 12:13 pm
zombie wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 12:00 pm that's not necessary. if you don't enjoy it, then you don't enjoy it. i can gripe on the exorcist. you can gripe on the descent. :P
who knows... maybe seeing that russell crowe flick will give me a better appreciation. maybe. :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

The Exorcist made me generally hate possession movies. 90% are trash. It's been over 50 years and this movie is still causing the industry to try to capitalize on it and they all come up short.

Poop's Exorcist was ok enough
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 12:21 pm The Exorcist made me generally hate possession movies. 90% are trash. It's been over 50 years and this movie is still causing the industry to try to capitalize on it and they all come up short.

Poop's Exorcist was ok enough
there are a lot of garbage rip offs that don't amount to shit. two things can be true at once. :P
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Tiggnutz wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:24 am
Tiggnutz wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:18 am New watch Puppet Master vs Demonic Toys
SYFY channel movie :'( oh well that's what the Challenge is for
So stupid and cheesy that I'm getting enjoyment somehow
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

hmm.. amazon is listing the mist as psychological thriller. what is psychological about the mist? :P

great movie though.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

zombie wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 12:29 pm hmm.. amazon is listing the mist as psychological thriller. what is psychological about the mist? :P

great movie though.
also, wolf creek. whoever makes these lists is fucked. :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Going 6.7 on Ghost Ship
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

New watch Bone Tomahawk
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

starting up pet sematary: bloodlines. because i'm a glutton for punishment. :P
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

zombie wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 1:29 pm starting up pet sematary: bloodlines. because i'm a glutton for punishment. :P
I thought it was decent
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

oh damn.... they used badmoon rising at nearly the start. :(
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Jason wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 1:22 pm Going 6.7 on Ghost Ship
Moving up to 7.0 for the nostalgia.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i really don't like jump scares that aren't even supposed to be scares. i hope this movie picks up.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Crawlers are obviously weak, malnourished and stuck in endless dark etc. So 1 on 1 let's roll, it's that there's so many of them and they're obviously hungry, wily and ravenous. It's like a chimp, I'll step in a cage with one and likely curb stomp it, but if there's even 2 or 3 and they get the jump on you? Holy fuck, they'll tear you apart.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

the guy playing timmy looks a lot like a young josh hartnett.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Reign in Blood wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 1:48 pm

Crawlers are obviously weak, malnourished and stuck in endless dark etc. So 1 on 1 let's roll, it's that there's so many of them and they're obviously hungry, wily and ravenous. It's like a chimp, I'll step in a cage with one and likely curb stomp it, but if there's even 2 or 3 and they get the jump on you? Holy fuck, they'll tear you apart.
Skanks in a Cave with chimps instead of crawlers?