2024 October Challenge Discussion Thread

Participate in our annual horror movie binge-watching throughout the month of October.
zombie
Administrator

Re: 2024 October Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 2:11 pm
Reign in Blood wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 1:48 pm
Jason wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:05 am I preferred The Descent the most in my 3rd viewing but there are aspects that I'll always have trouble with. The best part is Juno the skank getting ganked and the revengyness of some of it. The darkness and flashlights is annoying, but it's a cave, so I try to overlook it. I will always have a gripe with the "crawlers". They're like Diet Cola wendigos, made out to be unique creatures we've never seen before, and are shown in numerous occurrences throughout the movie that they're weak as hell. When Sarah (female, about 120 pounds) can shrug one off her shoulder and stomp its head in with ease, and also pin one down and gouge it's eyes out, then there really is little threat other than they kinda look creepy. I've heard people remark about claustrophobia when watching the movie and I never really felt any of that.

At the end of the day, I finally do understand why the movie is liked for the most part, but this sort of thing ain't my bag baby. If the creatures weren't cheap wendigos and weak as hell, the movie could be in the 7s or 8s, but I'm gonna go a generous 6.1 on The Descent because of the revenge and Sarah being believable.
Crawlers are obviously weak, malnourished and stuck in endless dark etc. So 1 on 1 let's roll, it's that there's so many of them and they're obviously hungry, wily and ravenous. It's like a chimp, I'll step in a cage with one and likely curb stomp it, but if there's even 2 or 3 and they get the jump on you? Holy fuck, they'll tear you apart.
Skanks in a Cave with chimps instead of crawlers?
sarah and juno and everyone are even skanks now? did you really hate the movie that much? :P
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Tiggnutz wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 1:23 pm New watch Bone Tomahawk
Where dem Trogs at?
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 2:13 pm
Jason wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:05 am I preferred The Descent the most in my 3rd viewing but there are aspects that I'll always have trouble with. The best part is Juno the skank getting ganked and the revengyness of some of it. The darkness and flashlights is annoying, but it's a cave, so I try to overlook it. I will always have a gripe with the "crawlers". They're like Diet Cola wendigos, made out to be unique creatures we've never seen before, and are shown in numerous occurrences throughout the movie that they're weak as hell. When Sarah (female, about 120 pounds) can shrug one off her shoulder and stomp its head in with ease, and also pin one down and gouge it's eyes out, then there really is little threat other than they kinda look creepy. I've heard people remark about claustrophobia when watching the movie and I never really felt any of that.

At the end of the day, I finally do understand why the movie is liked for the most part, but this sort of thing ain't my bag baby. If the creatures weren't cheap wendigos and weak as hell, the movie could be in the 7s or 8s, but I'm gonna go a generous 6.1 on The Descent because of the revenge and Sarah being believable.
Crawlers are obviously weak, malnourished and stuck in endless dark etc. So 1 on 1 let's roll, it's that there's so many of them and they're obviously hungry, wily and ravenous. It's like a chimp, I'll step in a cage with one and likely curb stomp it, but if there's even 2 or 3 and they get the jump on you? Holy fuck, they'll tear you apart.
sarah and juno and everyone are even skanks now? did you really hate the movie that much? :P
No. Long story, but a guy forgot the name of Gone Girl and couldn't remember it and all he could think of was "Where'd the Bitch Go". So that got stuck in my head last night and when Juno was revealed to be a skank, "Skanks in a Cave" popped in my head and it has a funny ring to it. :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

If I hate a movie it gets an under 3 rating. If I like a movie it's 5 and above and Descent was above 5 so what does that tell you? 8-) :innocent:
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

His hate of female driven horror knows no bounds. Sickens and disgusts.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 2:20 pm

No. Long story, but a guy forgot the name of Gone Girl and couldn't remember it and all he could think of was "Where'd the Bitch Go". So that got stuck in my head last night and when Juno was revealed to be a skank, "Skanks in a Cave" popped in my head and it has a funny ring to it. :P
:P i guess that's fair.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 2:22 pm

we can't all be cool. :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

the movie isn't going as badly as i was expecting. just kind of standard basic horror fare.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

My hate in the movie lies with the darkness and flashlights in the camera as well as a wendigo knockoff. The chicks were awesome apart from the one skank. :P

And Ginger Snaps is easily a top 5 werewolf movie.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 2:27 pm

My hate in the movie lies with the darkness and flashlights in the camera as well as a wendigo knockoff. The chicks were awesome apart from the one skank. :P

And Ginger Snaps is easily a top 5 werewolf movie.
i don't think reign is as big on ginger snaps as i am. play to your audience, man. :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 2:29 pmi don't think reign is as big on ginger snaps as i am. play to your audience, man. :P
Maybe Reign should stop hating on female driven werewolf horror. :P
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 2:24 pm

What do you think Jason's rating would be if it's switched up to a bunch of bros, spelunking and chest-bumping with kegs strapped to their backs down there, they get fucked up and curb stomp all the male crawlers and gang rape all female ones for a smashing par-tay in blood. 9.7?

They should actually make that. :lol:
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 2:31 pm
zombie wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 2:29 pmi don't think reign is as big on ginger snaps as i am. play to your audience, man. :P
yeah, probably. :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Reign in Blood wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 2:32 pm

What do you think Jason's rating would be if it's switched up to a bunch of bros, spelunking and chest-bumping with kegs strapped to their backs down there, they get fucked up and curb stomp all the male crawlers and gang rape all female ones for a smashing par-tay in blood. 9.7?

First we get Skanks in a Cave, then we get Homos in a Hole.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 2:32 pm

juss throw a couple of those barrels down the hole, first. set it on fire. cause guys would know already that there are weak shriveled monsters down there before they ever had to face them. :P
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

You're both stoned, without Isabelle those movies are not watchable.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Reign in Blood wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 2:37 pm
You're both stoned, without Isabelle those movies are not watchable.
And without skanks, the Descent is not watchable. :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

the taunting and stalking is fairly good.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Sarah was the shit in Descent. That would've been a 3.8 without her.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Tiggnutz wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 2:18 pm
Tiggnutz wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 1:23 pm New watch Bone Tomahawk
Where dem Trogs at?
Where dem Trogs at?