2024 October Challenge Discussion Thread

Participate in our annual horror movie binge-watching throughout the month of October.
Jason
Administrator

Re: 2024 October Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by Jason »

Jigsaw wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:05 pm
Reign in Blood wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 4:56 pm
Jason wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 4:54 pm
Jigsaw wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 4:48 pm
Reign in Blood wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 10:29 am
Tiggnutz wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 10:26 am I fucking love Monster Squad
Everybody does, except numbnuts over there!
Never seen The Monster Squad either, so can't say I love it. :P
See, now I'll gleefully accept shit for having not seen Monster Squad, but when this jabroni who's spent a thousand hours or more watching movies where nobody even speaks than I can no longer accept the brunt of it.

Boo this man
Lmao, very true.
In my mild defense, I don't really expect to care that much for The Monster Squad. Please keep in mind you're talking to someone who found The Lost Boys very mid, and I always got a similar vibe from Monster Squad.

If I do watch it and end up giving it a 4/10 - well, I'd rather avoid doing that. :P
Lost Boys isn't my favorite, but I do like it quite a bit. Monster Squad is an all timer. Even after realizing it wasn't Troma I didn't expect much. Haven't been more wrong about an expectation.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

zombie wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:06 pm well, you're just pissing everyone off today. :P
If you're talking about me, it's part of my charm. :P
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Jason wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:08 pm
Jigsaw wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:05 pm
Reign in Blood wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 4:56 pm
Jason wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 4:54 pm
Jigsaw wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 4:48 pm
Reign in Blood wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 10:29 am
Tiggnutz wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 10:26 am I fucking love Monster Squad
Everybody does, except numbnuts over there!
Never seen The Monster Squad either, so can't say I love it. :P
See, now I'll gleefully accept shit for having not seen Monster Squad, but when this jabroni who's spent a thousand hours or more watching movies where nobody even speaks than I can no longer accept the brunt of it.

Boo this man
Lmao, very true.
In my mild defense, I don't really expect to care that much for The Monster Squad. Please keep in mind you're talking to someone who found The Lost Boys very mid, and I always got a similar vibe from Monster Squad.

If I do watch it and end up giving it a 4/10 - well, I'd rather avoid doing that. :P
Lost Boys isn't my favorite, but I do like it quite a bit. Monster Squad is an all timer. Even after realizing it wasn't Troma I didn't expect much. Haven't been more wrong about an expectation.
I'll likely watch it at some point. I'm moderately young - provided I die around 50 or so, I have 20 more good years left of movies. :P
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jigsaw wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:10 pm
zombie wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:06 pm well, you're just pissing everyone off today. :P
careful. charm is only a letter apart from harm. :P
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:11 pm
And two from arm. *smack*
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Reign in Blood wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:13 pm
zombie wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:11 pm
And two from arm. *smack*
And about seven or so from inharmonic :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

I got like three or four hours sleep last night since I got up early to watch a movie and ended up picking Monster Squad. Probably gonna only get another three tonight for the double feature tomorrow. Wooo
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:24 pm I got like three or four hours sleep last night since I got up early to watch a movie and ended up picking Monster Squad. Probably gonna only get another three tonight for the double feature tomorrow. Wooo
what are you looking forward to, tonight?
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 4:42 pm
Jason wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 4:39 pm So since you guys have all seen all three. How do you rank them? Monster Squad, Maximum Overdrive and Duel...
monster squad
duel
maximum overdrive
My vibe is that is probably the consensus here.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:25 pm
Jason wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:24 pm I got like three or four hours sleep last night since I got up early to watch a movie and ended up picking Monster Squad. Probably gonna only get another three tonight for the double feature tomorrow. Wooo
what are you looking forward to, tonight?
I haven't decided. I'm hoping to get in at least two or three. If I know I'll get in three, I'll probably do a trilogy. Like Maniac Cop or something. If only two, probably Alien and Aliens. Nothing set in stone though.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Oh God, I think I have to watch The Grudge (2004) today.

Here's a mildly funny story, at least to me.

As many of you may know, I keep a list of every single movie I've watched that I consider horror, and have for years. I have both Ju-on (2002) and The Grudge (2004) listed, but I know for a fact I've only seen one of them. I added it months after I watched it, so I couldn't remember which of the two I watched, and to this day, I have no idea.

Which is to say that technically, The Grudge could be a first-time watch, but I have absolutely no idea, and so will be counting it as a rewatch.

That said, I'll probably watch something more fun first.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jigsaw wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:27 pm Oh God, I think I have to watch The Grudge (2004) today.

As many of you may know, I keep a list of every single movie I've watched that I consider horror, and have for years. I have both Ju-on (2002) and The Grudge (2004) listed, but I know for a fact I've only seen one of them. I added it months after I watched it, so I couldn't remember which of the two I watched, and to this day, I have no idea.

Which is to say that technically, The Grudge could be a first-time watch, but I have absolutely no idea, and so will be counting it as a rewatch.

the one with buffy is the grudge, if that helps! :P
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Defintely prefer Duel to Maximum Overdrive, but I also prefer Iced, Satan's Blood, the 1997 The Shining mini-series, Don't Go in the Woods (2010), and Paranormal Entity to Maximum Overdrive, so that doesn't really mean a lot. :P
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

zombie wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:28 pm
Jigsaw wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:27 pm Oh God, I think I have to watch The Grudge (2004) today.

Never seen a single episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, nor have I seen the movie. Sorry fam. :P
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Jason wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:25 pm
zombie wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 4:42 pm
Jason wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 4:39 pm So since you guys have all seen all three. How do you rank them? Monster Squad, Maximum Overdrive and Duel...
monster squad
duel
maximum overdrive
My vibe is that is probably the consensus here.
Yeah. MO is more fun but Duel is Spielberg and it's fun watching a prodigy start to unfold.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jigsaw wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:29 pm

Never seen a single episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, nor have I seen the movie. Sorry fam. :P
it also has clea duvall and bill pullman? :P
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Bad Moon is so good for such an obviously low budget. I always say I'm going to get the novel Thor it's based off of so hopefully it's on audible
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Also worth mentioning, because I know that Jason watched 1983's Nightmares earlier this month, but Duel isn't too far removed from the third segment - that demon truck that chases what's-his-name down - so if you dug that at all, Duel should be a good time.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

zombie wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:30 pm
Jigsaw wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:29 pm

it also has clea duvall and bill pullman? :P
I am in DuVall's fan-club. 2001's How to Make a Monster is required watching in my household (which is probably why I have no friends :P).

That said, we're talking about a movie that, if I even saw it, I would have seen at least eight years ago, so I've long admitted to myself that I'll never know which of the two I've actually seen.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

I saw it in theaters when I was like 16 and almost fell asleep.