2024 October Challenge Discussion Thread

Participate in our annual horror movie binge-watching throughout the month of October.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Re: 2024 October Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by Jigsaw »

Havok wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 10:25 pm
Jigsaw wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:40 pm
zombie wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:38 pm
Jigsaw wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:36 pm I gotta be real with everyone. When it comes to Asian horror, I have a very difficult time telling characters apart, so whenever there's two or three friends who look moderately similar, and one dies, I often lose track. I've started trying to track the clothes and names closely, but it doesn't always help.

When the plot's already complicated - as I very much remember either Ju-on or The Grudge being - it doesn't help anyway. I wouldn't mind watching more Asian horror, but I did watch One Missed Call a year or two ago, and I just didn't see anything special about it, so it may be possible it's just not my vibe.

That said, 2002's Honogurai mizu no soko kara (Dark Water) gets a high rating from me, and Battle Royale gets a 10/10, so I'm not completely blinded to their charm. :P
one missed call is your try for special? oof...

If you have Asian horror suggestions, I'll certainly take them. Giallo is of infinite more interest to me, though, as are krimis. :P

Cold Fish, Tell Me Something, The Hypnotist, Organ, A Record Of Sweet Murder, Untold Story, Ebola Syndrome or possibly Red Room since it's similar to Saw.
If that Red Room is the 1999 movie, I've seen it. Both Organ and Ebola Syndrome have been on my to-see list for a while. Others don't sound familiar, so thanks. :thumb:
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

I guess two things in The Grudge did sort of confuse me.

I would post them here, but I have no idea how to use the spoiler tags, so whateves. :P
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Damn, a double feature of I Saw The Devil and Train to Busan...that's goddamn inspired.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 9:54 pm
Jason wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 10:23 am Staring up The Monster Squad (1987) for a new watch.

I get the sense that this is one I would've appreciated if I had seen it as a kid. Is that true?

The title track on the bluray menu is bitchin.
I spoke to Composer Bruce Broughton a couple weeks ago. He's still working and using our paper to sketch out his score stuff. Cool dude.
That is fuckin sweet
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 9:51 pm
Jason wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 11:51 am Just finished The Monster Squad. Brace yourselves. It's a nine-six. Gasp. Pick yourselves up off the ground. Move over When Evil Lurks, we got a new king in town.
I've been saying it since I was 6: Monster Squad > Goonies
I believe it. Now I just need to see Goonies. :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 9:57 pm
Jason wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 12:23 pm
Reign in Blood wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 11:36 am
Tiggnutz wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 11:29 am Whats the It (1973) that D has as his last watched movie? Got an A grade
Typo I'm sure, should be 2017, I think he was hitting the bottle hard with double shots when editing.
He also has Evil Dead coming out in 1983. Must have had Christine on the brain.
I used the menu page's date for it. I know it's got like 5 different years for it's release, so I figure fuck it at this point. 1983 does come up a lot for Evil Dead, if memory serves me right, that was the official wide release, but it was hitting the circuit as early as 81 (IMDB's listing).

Edit: even Metacritic has it down as 1983.
I remember being confused about it like 20 years ago. 1983 for Evil Dead was always stuck in my head and suddenly everywhere it said 1981 and it took a while for that year to be burned in my head. Now they're dancing around it again? Whatever.

The Evil Dead (1900s)
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Firing up Ice Cream Man. Been maybe ten years.