Recently Watched Movies

You can talk about anything here
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Re: Recently Watched Movies

Post by Reign in Blood »

I guess fireballs in the ass is the only way to get this new Liu Kang over. Should be working the mall, not blood sport, kid.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Sound of Metal ......... A

I did expect more involvement of the Metal music scene, cause the trailers sure made it seem like that to me, but that aside, it was a pretty damn good moving drama about a drummer dealing with sudden hearing loss. Great performances, I felt the weight in the bad decisions being made, and still felt the empathy of the realization of the bad decision. Also, I thought it was pretty creative not having captions for the first half of the film, because it really put me in Rueben's shoes. Not something I see myself watching again any time soon though. In a full year, i'd raise eyebrows at this getting nominated for Best Picture ... but 2020 was pretty dry. This probably has the Sound category on lockdown though.
We just watched it. Pretty decent. Acting was great. The girl was the cute girl in Bates Motel, and I have had a major crush on her since. It did a good job of putting you in his shoes.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

Fuckin double post
Last edited by Jmac Attack on Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

What? This is 2 hour movie? It already has managed to bore me for 50 out of 54 minutes, this doesn't bode well!
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

I can already feel all of Kano's egg roll and sombrero jokes getting cut from all versions come Monday.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Thank FUCK Goro gives a glimpse, only thing this whole band of bad guys can draw eyes to the screen. God, they are awful.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

All these fucking years, billions in technology... This Goro don't look any god damn better than the old one. :?

I'm really not digging this.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Alright, the saw fatality was bitchin, finally something. Too bad much better and no shitty cgi in haute tension, assholes.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Takes you like an hour and a half to get cool flick, really?
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Wearing a mask to help control the fires of hell, yeah we can't possibly center the movie around that guy now. The fuck they do.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Slaughterhouserock wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:See, problem with people today. Its a known franchise with a metric shit ton of cool characters. This is what fans want to see, why the fuck would you create a new lame ass one to center around? Strictly from a business stand point, how does that get green lit.
I've read that it was to help those who have never played the games understand what was going on by having an "outsider" character that doesn't know what's going on asking questions. Basically, the script-writers suck at explaining plot and needed someone to unload exposition on.
Which is why there's characters like Sonya and ... I don't know ... Johnny Cage to do that with?

Just finished watching it, and while I liked it, giving it a solid B, but this whole Cole sucking up time and space from better richer characters is definitely a sore spot. Plus the plot seemed more like a set up for a plot than an actual plot.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Oh, that's what you did with my favorite character, the one the game was modeled around, some jackoff that should be working Baby Gap at the mall with Liu. Good grief.

15 minute of superb fight scenes, rest sweet crapolas.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:See, problem with people today. Its a known franchise with a metric shit ton of cool characters. This is what fans want to see, why the fuck would you create a new lame ass one to center around? Strictly from a business stand point, how does that get green lit.
I've read that it was to help those who have never played the games understand what was going on by having an "outsider" character that doesn't know what's going on asking questions. Basically, the script-writers suck at explaining plot and needed someone to unload exposition on.
I give it generous grade D+, assholes all of them!

Which is why there's characters like Sonya and ... I don't know ... Johnny Cage to do that with?

Just finished watching it, and while I liked it, giving it a solid B, but this whole Cole sucking up time and space from better richer characters is definitely a sore spot. Plus the plot seemed more like a set up for a plot than an actual plot.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Which is why there's characters like Sonya and ... I don't know ... Johnny Cage to do that with?

Yeah, alot of people made the same complaints. Apparently, the writer/director wanted to save Cage for a sequel, and have it be more centered around him. Also, he said he wanted an asian lead. Guess he forgot Liu Kang was in the film.

Cole is the worst part imo. And yeah, definitely more of a setup to a sequel than a standalone film.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Reign in Blood wrote:Oh, that's what you did with my favorite character, the one the game was modeled around, some jackoff that should be working Baby Gap at the mall with Liu. Good grief.

I went in expecting it to be dumb with decent fight scenes. It tried to not be dumb, so I thought it was good. I don't know what you were expecting to make you hate it so much. It's Mortal Kombat, not some masterpiece of storytelling.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Boys From County Hell. Irish vampire flick. It was pretty good despite my usual hatred of vampire films. It helps that it doesn't follow any of the usual rules of vampires, though it plays a bit loose with the rules it does introduce. Still, it's worth a watch.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

The Dark Side of the Moon. Weird mix of bermuda triangle thriller with satan set in space(in the distant future of 2022). Way better than it has any right to be. They somehow manage to make the plot make sense despite how absurd it is, has decent acting, and kept a good pace throughout. There's a robot/android lady that has a really cheesy line towards the end that came outta nowhere, so that was pretty funny. And she's played by one of the twins from F13 IV, so there's that. Definitely worth checking out if you're looking for a sci-fi horror/thriller.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Reign in Blood wrote:Oh, that's what you did with my favorite character, the one the game was modeled around, some jackoff that should be working Baby Gap at the mall with Liu. Good grief.

I went in expecting it to be dumb with decent fight scenes. It tried to not be dumb, so I thought it was good. I don't know what you were expecting to make you hate it so much. It's Mortal Kombat, not some masterpiece of storytelling.
It committed the cardinal sin, it largely bored me.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Slaughterhouserock wrote:The Dark Side of the Moon. Weird mix of bermuda triangle thriller with satan set in space(in the distant future of 2022). Way better than it has any right to be. They somehow manage to make the plot make sense despite how absurd it is, has decent acting, and kept a good pace throughout. There's a robot/android lady that has a really cheesy line towards the end that came outta nowhere, so that was pretty funny. And she's played by one of the twins from F13 IV, so there's that. Definitely worth checking out if you're looking for a sci-fi horror/thriller.
Haven't seen it since VHS days, but always remembered it because it was unique, and I remember digging it. And Pink Floyd connection didn't hurt.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Beauty and the Beast (2017)

Either my second or third time seeing this one, I enjoyed it just as much as I did the first time. Aside from some shoddy CGI, a movie of impeccable taste.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/