October Challenge 2023 Discussion Thread

Participate in our annual horror movie binge-watching throughout the month of October.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Re: October Challenge 2023 Discussion Thread

Post by Tiggnutz »

Jason wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:21 pm
DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:13 am
Jason wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:02 am Need I point out the glaringly obvious feel of TCSM in the first 15+ minutes? :piggy:
Not really, given that's the point lol. Should check out Pearl and see what it pays homage to.
That's on the agenda today.

X wasn't too bad. Couldn't get past the make up of the "old people" You could clearly tell they were played by younger people and I even thought the old lady looked like the lead chick and was expecting there to be some weird psychological twist where she's actually old and confronting her younger self or something. Looked at the cast and noticed she actually did play the old lady. Lmao.

Wasn't bad. Hopefully Pearl is better.
It will be much clearer after Pearl
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Tiggnutz wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:26 pm
Jason wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:02 am Need I point out the glaringly obvious feel of TCSM in the first 15+ minutes? :piggy:
Not really, given that's the point lol. Should check out Pearl and see what it pays homage to.

X wasn't too bad. Couldn't get past the make up of the "old people" You could clearly tell they were played by younger people and I even thought the old lady looked like the lead chick and was expecting there to be some weird psychological twist where she's actually old and confronting her younger self or something. Looked at the cast and noticed she actually did play the old lady. Lmao.

It will be much clearer after Pearl
Glad I bought both, then. lol
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Forgot to mention in X that I loved the inclusion of the song "Act Naturally" by Loretta Lynn.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Watched Jason Lives earlier, the weakest movie of the first seven movies of the series.

Which might be a hot take, but whateves, brahs, both A New Beginning and The New Blood were more enjoyable. I supposed Jason Lives could be on par with the third movie (which I found rather average), but I'd still probably give the edge to the third.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

New watch Frogs
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Sam Elliott without the mustache is a little weird
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Jigsaw wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:10 pm Watched Jason Lives earlier, the weakest movie of the first seven movies of the series.

Which might be a hot take, but whateves, brahs, both A New Beginning and The New Blood were more enjoyable. I supposed Jason Lives could be on par with the third movie (which I found rather average), but I'd still probably give the edge to the third.
More of a hot take to say The New Blood is stronger than Jason Lives than it is to say A New Beginning is stronger than Jason Lives.

The first 4 movies get a rare 5/5 from me and A New Beginning and Jason Lives are pretty close to a 5/5. I'm just super partial to that franchise since I grew into adulthood watching them basically.

When I was a young teen and watched these movies for the first time I had Jason Goes to Hell ranked #2 or #3 I think. Lmao. Now it's at the bottom with Jason X (which I always hated) but now I just hate it a little less. Lol
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Watched Old People this morning. I think I'm done looking for commute-length movies on Netflix for now, I'm running out of options that are in English (cause I'm not reading subtitles on my phone) and this was a pretentious piece of crap. The plot sounds like something that would be on the Treehouse of Horror, which I'm all game for...if they're going to be hilarious and exploitive with it. Instead they aim to be super serious burdon us with shitty bland broken family melodrama, and attempt to give us commentary on how "we" treat seniors, as if it's right for them to rage (except it's not really revenge rage, they're in a zombie-like trance, except for the ring leader I guess, so its own themes contradict themselves). Ugh. It's not the worst movie I watched this challenge, but it's definitely the one that pissed me off the most for wasting my time.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

After watching Horror Hallowed Grounds' new upload today with the locations of Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead, put me in the mood to put that on.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

I liked X, though only watched it the one time in theaters lol. I'm still not sure which I liked better. Probably Pearl. I was impressed by Mia Goth in Pearl. Not that I think she's hot...I still don't see what the hubbub is there online, but she's fantastic in Pearl.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Spontaneously abandoned tonight's viewing of Pearl for a different new watch. The Dead Zone.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:41 pm

I liked X, though only watched it the one time in theaters lol. I'm still not sure which I liked better. Probably Pearl. I was impressed by Mia Goth in Pearl. Not that I think she's hot...I still don't see what the hubbub is there online, but she's fantastic in Pearl.
Mia was a pretty convincing actress, but Brittany Snow was hot as hell in X. Don't know why Mia would get all the sexy praise.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Jason wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:30 pm
Jigsaw wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:10 pm Watched Jason Lives earlier, the weakest movie of the first seven movies of the series.

More of a hot take to say The New Blood is stronger than Jason Lives than it is to say A New Beginning is stronger than Jason Lives.

The first 4 movies get a rare 5/5 from me and A New Beginning and Jason Lives are pretty close to a 5/5. I'm just super partial to that franchise since I grew into adulthood watching them basically.

When I was a young teen and watched these movies for the first time I had Jason Goes to Hell ranked #2 or #3 I think. Lmao. Now it's at the bottom with Jason X (which I always hated) but now I just hate it a little less. Lol
To this day, I've still never seen Jason Goes to Hell. I suppose that's something I should watch eventually, but boy, do I have concerns. :P
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Jigsaw wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:46 am

To this day, I've still never seen Jason Goes to Hell. I suppose that's something I should watch eventually, but boy, do I have concerns. :P
How...
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

The Dead Zone is gonna give Phenomena a run for its money in favorite new viewing category.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

It was neck and neck for a while, but ultimately I prefer Phenomena.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jason wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:33 am

Mia was a pretty convincing actress, but Brittany Snow was hot as hell in X. Don't know why Mia would get all the sexy praise.
I'm more of a Jenna Ortega crusher, but yeah I still thought Snow was much hotter than Mia. She's definitely an "I don't get it"
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Jason wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:52 am

How...
It took me 10+ years to finally sit down and watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation, and something like 12 to watch Seed of Chucky (which I absolutely despised, which is why I put off watching it for so long), so the fact I've not seen Jason Goes to Hell shouldn't be too big a surprise. :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Jigsaw wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:07 am
Jason wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:52 am

How...
It took me 10+ years to finally sit down and watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation, and something like 12 to watch Seed of Chucky (which I absolutely despised, which is why I put off watching it for so long), so the fact I've not seen Jason Goes to Hell shouldn't be too big a surprise. :P
When I got majorly into horror I made sure to see every single movie of whatever franchise I chose to watch. So I'd pick up abput 2-3 VHS tapes from Hollywood Video per trip. I rode my bike there all the time especially during the summer when school was out and just rented the fuck out of the horror section. Lmao
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:33 am
Jason wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:33 am

I'm more of a Jenna Ortega crusher, but yeah I still thought Snow was much hotter than Mia. She's definitely an "I don't get it"
She's got a unique look. Gotta give her that I guess.